litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyres finally need sorting before LITP

nickashton

Hi

i finally need to sort a replacement set of tyres for my car before LITP. My car is an early S2 with 175/55/16 on the front and 225/45/17 on the rear. I have read various threads regarding suitable replacement sizes but it is becoming a. Minefield! 

What do you suggest would be suitable replacements for general driving no track days? 

Help would be really appreciated!

many thanks

Nick

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put Yokohama's v105 sports on my S3 Elise they offer greater wet/rain grip on the road but still sporty grip, it's what Lotus was putting on the Elise coming out of the factory, the rears 225/45/17 and fronts a little wider but fit on the same rims 195/50/16

I drive enthusiastically  have done 7,000 mls and they look almost new  very pleased with them. and the rears were as cheap as chips as oem on merc's   fronts were more expensive but cheaper than track focused tyres  so would fully recommend to you :)

I've also got v105 sports which went on new in spring. I can't fault all around performance and although the outright grip isn't quite as high as my R888R's on a warm dry day, the v105 is better in mixed driving and feels slightly more supple to soak up bumps. Factor in the price of the v105s and they are hard to beat.

Just got a set of v105 today for my S1 Exige.  My R888s had masses of tread but were old and I did not enjoy going round Redgate at Donington backwards. They cost me £360 fitted. No idea if they are any good yet, will find out soon. I noted Ray had them on Sunday when I was following him.  They do have quite rolled off shoulders so the contact patch is less then my old tyres. If you could get 175s I think they would be very narrow.

Mine are marked “oe” and Yokohama told me they are the same as lotus fit.

I have now a full set of V105's. Thanks for the recommendation . My old set of potenza's had 26 psi on the front and 27 psi on the rear. What pressures do you  run on?

Thanks again.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

On my 111R i ran Yoko's and ended up with 23 front and 26 rear. This is 3psi lower than Lotus recommend, but I found over a couple of sets of tyres that 26/29 resulted in wearing out the centre of the contact patch of the tyre. 23/26 fixed that. Before everyone jumps in, my tyre gauge is a calibrated professional unit (which just happens to read the same as the other 2 halfords cheapo's). Anyway, 23/26 fixed the issue!

On 01/06/2021 at 23:15, nickashton said:

Thanks Ray. Just been looking at those £394 for a set on lovetyres.com delivered

Be VERY careful with online tyre places and cheap prices. Our little cars are specified with W rated tyres. Lots of the online places sell the cheaper V rated ones

My tyre dealer had to order mine to get the correct size and rating. So far I am very impressed. I had old R888s on the car and I can’t say I have noticed a reduction in grip, but I have only been using them on the road.  They appear to be much quieter as well, not that an S1 Exige is ever quiet.

Archived