litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Can the british car handle the british weather?

SuperchargedNick

Hi Guys,

New here and looking to buy an Elise s2 R or an Exige s2 depending on price...

I don't own a garage and i'm aware that some people Garage theirs during the winter. 
essentially i'm after a case study to green light buying one and keeping it outside without worrying too much!

Another point:
Who drives their Lotus as a daily and what's the highest Toyota engined lotus you have seen?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi SuperchargedNick, 

Welcome to Midlands Lotus. Hopefully someone will give you the supportive evidence to keep it out in all weather, I imagine it’s down to personal preference. If it’s any help though, the reason I keep mine in a dehumidified storage space is because keeping it out in all weather can cause issues with the paintwork and rubber seals. 

I don’t drive it as a daily. Although it certainly can be used as a daily driver. 

Hope that helps..

I had a 111R for 4 years as a daily driver and had no problems.  The softtop occasionally slightly leaked but with a bit of TLC to keep it waterproofed it was no problem.

I now have an Exige 350 that again is a daily driver and again no problems other than a slightly leaky window (fixed with the easily adjustable windows).

Having said that the miles I tend to do are pretty low (15-20 miles, sometimes a bit more) and some days it doesnt get driven.

I could see why having it as daily driver might grind a few people but it works for me ... the worst part is cleaning it so it looks incredible and then it raining.

They're absolutely fine in all weather (except maybe snow? i've never tried, seemed like asking for trouble!).   You'll probably find you have a tiny leak somewhere, usually around the window seals, as mentioned, but it's normally just a few drips on the door sills when you get in.   Parking it flat is important, in my experience, if it's at a angle then you're more likely to get leaks around the front of the windows.   Windows are easy enough to adjust to make them fit properly if you do have a leak, and very worst case is that you need to replace the rubber seals around the doors, but every now and then someone does a group buy for them.  They aren't expensive.

As for daily-ing it, well I don't tend to reach for the Lotus keys when it's foul weather, but it certainly hasn't stopped me in the past.  The car has no trouble with the rain, it's just I don't like getting in it with wet, muddy shoes :)  And you definitely can't "use" all the car when it's horrific weather, if the roads and soaked and your tyres are cold then it'll spin the wheels in most gears.   Also you're so low to the ground that as soon as you get behind an HGV you can't see through the spray cloud to be able to safely overtake, etc, so it's more difficult to enjoy the full experience a Lotus offers.   But if you simply need to use your car to get somewhere then it's not a problem at all.  You're not limited by it.

The toyota engines are tough, it's rare to hear of anyone with engine problems these days.  My previous S2 i got up to about 50k miles before I sold it on.  I'm sure there's much higher ones floating about this forum. 

I have never had any problems with leaks.  There is a bit of ingress down the side windows when washing, but only a few drips.  I likely need to try and adjust them as suggested.

Mine have never been used daily, nor have they been kept in the open.

I would suggest you need to be pretty stoic to use one every day, it's not what they were built for.  The Exige s2/S1 would be really tough I feel.  In addition, using every day normalises the experience and I think something is lost when that happens.  But it is done....................

I agree with Damon above regarding weather, but would also add that night driving with something so low takes it's toll too.  All the headlights are in your face and dazzling.  And then there's the noise too.... .

If I needed to daily, I'd be looking at a Boxster/Cayman, a 350Z or an S2000 or a newer MX5.  They'd have a good chuck of the fun factor without the drawbacks.  I'd steer clear of TT's, Z4's, SLK etc as I have found these to be a fairly mundane steer, but maybe better for bashing out the miles, if that's your need. Or reduce your budget by a few grand and get a run-around, but there might be reasons this does not work for you.

My Evora is parked outside only used once or twice a week , I had converted garage years ago but even if I had my garage don’t think the car would had fitted very well ?

I stopped covering my car the cover was causing more issues than what it protected ? Now my cover cost £100 odd so maybe if I spent the £200 plus maybe that might be more practical in protection ? 
my Evora does leak especially boot TBF I think it’s a lotus quirk and you some how get used it as owner 

14 hours ago, Luke Seagrave said:

Hi SuperchargedNick, 

Welcome to Midlands Lotus. Hopefully someone will give you the supportive evidence to keep it out in all weather, I imagine it’s down to personal preference. If it’s any help though, the reason I keep mine in a dehumidified storage space is because keeping it out in all weather can cause issues with the paintwork and rubber seals. 

I don’t drive it as a daily. Although it certainly can be used as a daily driver. 

Hope that helps..

Coming from the other end. I’ll be getting my fe exige in a few weeks and have just had a new garage built with plenty of insulation and an insulated garage door. Don’t think I’ll be driving it much in bad weather so want to keep in tip top condition. Was even considering a radiator 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️  
Is a de humidifier a good way to go ? 
is it worth getting an indoor cover ? 
think I read somewhere they’re no good if the car isn’t spotless when it’s covered up 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, MattJM said:

Coming from the other end. I’ll be getting my fe exige in a few weeks and have just had a new garage built with plenty of insulation and an insulated garage door. Don’t think I’ll be driving it much in bad weather so want to keep in tip top condition. Was even considering a radiator 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️  
think I read somewhere they’re no good if the car isn’t spotless when it’s covered up 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hi MattJM,

To be honest I think as long as you keep your car dry and stored in a dry garage, then the dehumidifier isn’t required unless you are keeping your car stored for months/years at a time. I don’t know if the indoor covers are good or not, hopefully other enthusiasts on this site might be able to provide more info on how useful an indoor cover is.

9 hours ago, MattJM said:

If you intend keeping your nice new garage like a showroom then I'd say an indoor cover wouldn't really be necessary or of much benefit. As you say, your car needs to be clean before covering it. If, like me however, you plan to have a workbench, ladders and do diy stuff in there then yes I would say definitely get a cover.

Yeah night driving is awful, i do avoid going out after dark.  pretty sure at the factory Lotus have a test area where they turn the lights on, and if they're too effective they go and find a more feeble bulb to put in.

Totally agree about not using it every day to keep it special though.  I intentionally have a crap second car (an old and quite rusty SLK in fact!) so that i appreciate my Lotus more :)  The difference is pretty extreme

I have loads of stuff in the garge with my car, and the indoor covr is worth every penny to stop it getting scratched when squeezing past it etc.

My garage is attached to the side of the house, isn't insulated, but no matter how many times you clean it out, always seesm to be full of dust etc, the cover just protects this.

I have been guilty of putting the cover on when it has been dirty, lesser of two evils really.  Life with two young kids and trying to renovate a house is busy enough, and on the rare occasion i get time to take the Exige out, i hardly ever have time to clean it afterwards.

You will probably get some leaks at some stage. An outdoor cover probably isn't practical because for ANY cover (indoor or out) the car MUST be clean before you put the cover on. You might investigate an Elemental cover for the roof, windscreen and top of the windows. Not expensive. This would protect the soft top (from bird droppings?) and also stop leaks in via the window/roof join.

Also, parking needs to be level. I parked on a significant  uphill drive once in France and it threw it down overnight and the rain overcame the drainage channels in the engine cover, and the boot was soaked!

Archived