litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New tyres

Luke Seagrave

Hi, 

I have had a look and searched this forum and found previous threads about new tyres, but I still couldn’t quite work out an answer.. so any advice will be greatly appreciated...

1. Currently my Elise 111R has Yokohama advan neova ad07 on the front: 175/55/r16 80w

basically I’m really struggling to find replacements. Everywhere seems to be suggesting 195s, would they actually fit without buying new alloys/rims?

Or should I just let the Lotus dealership deal with replacing them when the time comes? As I would like to think they wouldn’t put inappropriate tyres on.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts..

thanks,

Luke

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you can use 195/50 tyres on the front.  195/50 is about as close as you can get to the same rolling radius as 175/55 while properly fitting on the rims.  People also used to do this to reduce the understeer of the OEM setup.  You don't have to of course, but the 175/55 tyres aren't made by many (any?) manufacturers now.  195/50 gives you a good choice to match your budget and driving plans, perhaps taking into account whether you're going to swap to winter tyres or drive year-round on the same ones.

15 hours ago, Lithopsian said:

Yes, you can use 195/50 tyres on the front.  195/50 is about as close as you can get to the same rolling radius as 175/55 while properly fitting on the rims.  People also used to do this to reduce the understeer of the OEM setup.  You don't have to of course, but the 175/55 tyres aren't made by many (any?) manufacturers now.  195/50 gives you a good choice to match your budget and driving plans, perhaps taking into account whether you're going to swap to winter tyres or drive year-round on the same ones.

I'm sorry what?  No more 175/55?  For f  :ranting: .  Gutted.

• 1 month later...

If you decide to stick with Yokohama's, don't waste your time & money trying to find "LTS" variants. Lotus stopped fitting those a few years back (apparently due to 'noise' issues!).

From personal recent experience, trying to find specific spec tyres is a nightmare. Blackcircles claimed to have what I was looking for, took the money, then emailed to say they didn't have it and refunded the payment. Same issue for the Lotus (1x puncture) and Jaguar (4x unbelievably ancient, just had to replace them!). Thank goodness the Michelin's for the motorhome were available...

Yes it's been pretty expensive recently...

Archived