litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

My Coal 50km for Cancer Research UK

martenr1975

Good Evening All,

I am attempting a 50km ultra run on Saturday raising money for Cancer Research UK. Having not previously run further than 13miles (once, in 2006), I started training in September working up to half marathon on Christmas Eve and then up to 24miles as my longest training run. On Saturday, I will still have another 7miles to go 🙆. It will hurt a lot.

I have been blown away by the support I have received so far, fundraising is at £2,365 as I write this which is nearly 5x my target. I think the level of support is a reflection of the number of people who have been affected by cancer in one way or another. Cancer Research aims to eradicate cancer, I believe that is possible and want to play my little part.

If you would like to read a bit more about my story or make a donation, please take a minute to read my fundraising page.

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/richs-easter-50km-coal-ultra

PS I did run the idea of posting this in the forum past a club Director and I hope nobody is offended by the post.

Rich

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Boys n girls I fully support Richards cause  I like most of you have had a loved one who has had to deal with this terrible desease please make the effort to make a donation no matter how small 

you can all make the difference

cheers

Ray

50km is amazing!  I think i'd find 50km on a bike hard enough, let alone with just my legs.  Great cause too.  I had cancer a few years ago (that's why i had to sell my previous exige and abandon fun for a year or so) and Cancer Research do a stellar job.  

Wow, that was a mission and a half! 5 1/2hrs, ran almost the whole 50km, just a couple of short walks on the two steepest hills, a few paracetamol and some emergency fudge an hour from the finish. I could not have done it without friends and family that were running or cycling in support or cheering vociferously. It's been a challenging but hugely rewarding experience but I won't be running for a good while 😁.

Thank you so much for the donations, including gift aid, the totaliser is approaching £4,000 that CRUK can put towards their mission of beating cancer.

Looking forward to our next run out to Central Lotus next week 👍💨

Archived