litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Paint detailing company in Leicestershire

CDM2018

I purchased a DA polisher and some half decent product and with a bit of time, I have been pleased with how cars have come up over the years. Certainly enough of an improvement to stand back and admire the fruits of my labour. I am sure it's not as good as a professional but it's also not anywhere near the cost. Saying that, wheels are not something I have DIY'd as I think wheels that aren't 'just right' can detract from the appearance of a car.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil 

yes have given it thought buying the stuff and equipment about £250 

but go no garage so the finish could be ruined by bad weather or dust /dirt been blown around ? 
also me being let loose on an dual sander I could knowing my skills sand the whole paintwork off ! 😮👀🙁

2 hours ago, CDM2018 said:

Phil 

yes have given it thought buying the stuff and equipment about £250 

but go no garage so the finish could be ruined by bad weather or dust /dirt been blown around ? 
also me being let loose on an dual sander I could knowing my skills sand the whole paintwork off ! 😮👀🙁

Dual action polishers are very forgiving so I'm sure you would be fine but having a garage certainly makes life so much easier.

If you were nearer and we were out of lockdown I might have offered to have a look at it for you myself 🙂

3 hours ago, Phil S1 said:

Dual action polishers are very forgiving so I'm sure you would be fine but having a garage certainly makes life so much easier.

If you were nearer and we were out of lockdown I might have offered to have a look at it for you myself 🙂

Phil

are you a detailer by any chance ?

I really would give it a go myself but I am  DIY disaster just like Frank from Some Mothers do have em ! 

35 minutes ago, CDM2018 said:

Phil

are you a detailer by any chance ?

I really would give it a go myself but I am  DIY disaster just like Frank from Some Mothers do have em ! 

No, not on a professional basis Clive, I just like polishing and have a bit more spare time on my hands since taking early retirement 😎

Phil

i have been looking at loads of U tube videos from car detailers and I think it’s a job left to professionals 

I am prepared to wash and polish the car after it’s been given the treatment as part of the ongoing maintenance 

I am going to have to leave it for a few months and save up for this and maybe leave it until this time next year ? I keep a few hundred aside each year for unforeseen maintenance and for the last couple of years had to pay out for regular wear and tear plus unforeseen things which has stripped my saving pot 🙁

That's fair enough Clive, I guess it depends on what condition your paintwork is in. If you only need to remove light swirls, improve the gloss and subsequently protect it with a wax then this is something that could be easily achieved on a diy basis. Paint correction of more major blemishes is where it can start to get tricky. On my own car there are a few marks that maybe could be fully removed by a professional but I'm not prepared to try and risk cutting through the lacquer.

Decided with your comments to wax and wash the car this next 12 months myself 

I think the paintwork will eventual require a proper correction but can’t afford it at present. 
I had bought a buffing attachment for my cordless drill so might use that ! 
will try to clay bar it too although need to watch some more videos to learn but I think I need some more stuff in my cleaning toolkit ? 

Yeah i'd like to see some detailed before and after pics if anyone does drop a grand on cleaning.  I just can't imagine how much more improved it could be?   I feel like the ordinary wash and polish i'd do on a lazy afternoon over a couple of hours is going to be 90% of the way there anyhow.  Is that final 10% worth it?

Having said that, the ceramic coating seems like a great idea, I've a friend who's always buying new Audis/BMWs and he gets it done each time.  I wouldn't say it makes it any shinier on its own, but it makes cleaning the car significantly easier so he does it more willingly (and often)

I think given my car sit year around outside and late summer subjected to tree sap the ceramic coating and paint correction would totally lift its appearance ?   
however putting up a £1k first ??? 

1 hour ago, Stik said:

Yeah i'd like to see some detailed before and after pics if anyone does drop a grand on cleaning.  I just can't imagine how much more improved it could be?   I feel like the ordinary wash and polish i'd do on a lazy afternoon over a couple of hours is going to be 90% of the way there anyhow.  Is that final 10% worth it?

Having said that, the ceramic coating seems like a great idea, I've a friend who's always buying new Audis/BMWs and he gets it done each time.  I wouldn't say it makes it any shinier on its own, but it makes cleaning the car significantly easier so he does it more willingly (and often)

Yes, me too. I'm giving mine a bit of a fettle just now and am more than happy with the results...

The first time I ever clayed a car was a real revelation. A car park where I worked years ago used to get fallout from a nearby foundry when the wind was in the wrong direction. All the upper panels would end up with tiny specs of rust embedded in the paint. Claying it completely removed them and left a super smooth finish ready for polishing.

IMG_20210305_105654431.jpg

For the briefest moment i thought you'd got some hideous hinges on your boot, then i realised it's just so shiny i can see your garage (or toilet? is that a bog roll on the left?!) door in perfect clarity :)  nice work.  I had a go at clay-ing my previous Exige, it did feel really lovely and smooth after, but i can't say i really noticed any visual difference 

1 hour ago, Stik said:

For the briefest moment i thought you'd got some hideous hinges on your boot, then i realised it's just so shiny i can see your garage (or toilet? is that a bog roll on the left?!) door in perfect clarity :)  nice work.  I had a go at clay-ing my previous Exige, it did feel really lovely and smooth after, but i can't say i really noticed any visual difference 

:lol: There are all manner of reflections going on there. No toilet, just a paper towel dispenser over the garage sink, in fact you can even so a picture of my old type 49 near there. Those hideous hinges are the reflection of the sectional garage door that was open at the time.

Claying on its own won't make any improvement to the shine as you say, that's where the polishing comes in.

A good Claying and a nice decontamination rub will make polishing sooooo much easier.

The hand can feel really small imperfections, trust in them.

Having watched detailing videos where professionals are spending 60-70 hours on a car, I can believe the cost is high, but I never imagined that high.

I have never had a professional detail, but I know however long I spend cleaning a car, I could always do more.  If I am happy with the paint work there is always some panels that are not so good, then there's the wheels, the exhaust, the calipers, the tyres, the trim, the glass.............. then the interior.................    I can't get motivated after 5-6 hours at it.

You go in for a cuppa, and come out to shoo the bloody cat off the cat.😬

Believe me when these car detailers quoted their costs I really thought I was in the business ! 
I guess their costs are 80% labour related 

I concluded that this year I will give my car a DIY work out , try the clay barring and intense waxing with a hope it works ? 

Archived