litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Who’s driven theirs then?

XH51MES

23 hours ago, dobber82 said:

Although I keep mine outside in a cover ... I had taken it for a spin, forgotten to put the cover and then this happened ... wasnt to happy about that!

Be bl***dy careful with outdoor covers chaps. I've kept my Chimaera under a cover outside for 2.5 years [the Loti are garaged 🙂] and the dreaded micro-blistering has just reared its ugly head big style.

I used a top of the range 'breathable' Storm-force cover and every time it was dry, I took the cover off, aired it and wiped any moisture off the car and Chims are made of considerably thicker layers of fibreglass than Loti.

I notice in the latest Club Lotus News that Machine Mart sell Clarke 'tents' for £286 and whilst they maybe a bit unsightly and more expensive than a fitted cover, they are not as unsightly as micro-blisters or expensive as a respray.

Fibreglass cars do not like car covers - you have been warned!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, scatty said:

Mines been driven back from its respray in Lancashire and to gav  for a service... 

might use it this year now I have it back...

288AC2D6-BE67-4C4A-80FF-C0C7ED39D2F0.jpeg

Loving the colour change Scatty :tup:

2 hours ago, scatty said:

Mines been driven back from its respray in Lancashire and to gav  for a service... 

might use it this year now I have it back...

288AC2D6-BE67-4C4A-80FF-C0C7ED39D2F0.jpeg

That looks nice where did you get the barge boards from?

47 minutes ago, collieek said:

That looks nice where did you get the barge boards from?

Thanks Phil, it’s really nice to have her back..

not sure on the boards, they were on when I got it... maybe luke, Alan or Matt may know... it’s the mloc slag this car, we’ve all had a go with her....

I keep my Elise under cover, a top tip I had from Stik (Dameon)  is to put a Auto silicon bag inside  it stops all the condensation build up, I took the cover off mine yesterday it was dry and  clear usually I would need to dry the condensation off the internal windows. I didnt go for a drive but I might take it shopping tomorrow :) 

ps Great job Scotty I'll pop mine over 😜

3 hours ago, scatty said:

Thanks Phil, it’s really nice to have her back..

not sure on the boards, they were on when I got it... maybe luke, Alan or Matt may know... it’s the mloc slag this car, we’ve all had a go with her....

OK I did not realize it was that one, I remember Luke leading our group on the run for Lotus in the Peak in it. Shall we say very enthusiastic driving it goes really well. The colour suits it.

20 hours ago, scatty said:

I’ve got an indoor cover but have been scared to put it in for this very reason...

Presume the car is kept indoor matey, if so you should have no bother. Mandy's Elise has been under an indoor cover for 13 years with no micro-blistering. Its the damp that permeates the fibreglass and if the car is stored outside there is no escaping it.

I drove mine out of the garage and on to the drive today, just to start it up and move fluids round a bit, check the brakes aren't seized and so on. I don't want to drive it on the road just yet because of all the salt and it's SORN'd.

When I got out and had a look at it I realised I had forgotten just how great it looks (when it's clean!). It made me really happy.  It also started first time which was nice!

On 30/01/2021 at 16:42, Mutley00 said:

Be bl***dy careful with outdoor covers chaps. I've kept my Chimaera under a cover outside for 2.5 years [the Loti are garaged 🙂] and the dreaded micro-blistering has just reared its ugly head big style.

I used a top of the range 'breathable' Storm-force cover and every time it was dry, I took the cover off, aired it and wiped any moisture off the car and Chims are made of considerably thicker layers of fibreglass than Loti.

I notice in the latest Club Lotus News that Machine Mart sell Clarke 'tents' for £286 and whilst they maybe a bit unsightly and more expensive than a fitted cover, they are not as unsightly as micro-blisters or expensive as a respray.

Fibreglass cars do not like car covers - you have been warned!

Hey Mutley - I have had mine covered since January 1st but you have got me thinking about this ... im thinking now that my "caring for it" might actually be causing harm as yesterday fully washed and dried and aired and put the cover on and slightly damp in some spots this AM wherea my wifes car just "out" is bone dry.  I am going to keep it off for a bit ... question for anyone ...

My previous elise used to have a leaky softtop above the window.  My Exige with hardtop also is a bit leaky above drivers side window ... that whole bit of roof gets sodden (which is why I bought a cover just to give it a chance to dry!) ... any suggestions for maybe trying to fix that slightly?  I have some silica bags that are always kept in but probably asking a bit much of it!

8 hours ago, dobber82 said:

Hey Mutley - I have had mine covered since January 1st but you have got me thinking about this ... im thinking now that my "caring for it" might actually be causing harm as yesterday fully washed and dried and aired and put the cover on and slightly damp in some spots this AM wherea my wifes car just "out" is bone dry.  I am going to keep it off for a bit ... question for anyone ...

My previous elise used to have a leaky softtop above the window.  My Exige with hardtop also is a bit leaky above drivers side window ... that whole bit of roof gets sodden (which is why I bought a cover just to give it a chance to dry!) ... any suggestions for maybe trying to fix that slightly?  I have some silica bags that are always kept in but probably asking a bit much of it!

Hi. Two thoughts. Firstly the door may have dropped slightly on its hinges and need a small adjustment. Secondly, look at getting an Elemental shower cap. I have one and it keeps the hood dry and overlaps the top of the doors but not the bodywork (apart from the roll bar cover). Not sure if its advisable for long term fix, and the photo in this link is pretty poor, but I've been very pleased with mine. See:  https://www.hangar111.com/lotus/elemental-shower-caps/

Good luck!

On 1/31/2021 at 22:02, DeanB said:

I drove mine out of the garage and on to the drive today, just to start it up and move fluids round a bit, check the brakes aren't seized and so on. I don't want to drive it on the road just yet because of all the salt and it's SORN'd.

When I got out and had a look at it I realised I had forgotten just how great it looks (when it's clean!). It made me really happy.  It also started first time which was nice!

You've changed.

Archived