litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Should I Buy an Exige Sport 410

Elisemadray

I don't think there's anything wrong with it Ray, he said he's been driven mad by more than one private buyer over the week, describing them as "utterly crazy".  He finally lost his rag and just accepted a trade offer to be 100% certain of a smooth/easy sale.

Dave, there's no way he will have accepted £55K - he had a firm offer from me of £61K on the table, with full details of how I would pay by bank transfer and get the car collected. I reckon he used my offer as a 'backstop' for the trade buyer and accepted the same figure or very close. Makes sense if you think about it, for all he knows I could have turned out to be another 'utterly crazy' private buyer :lol:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, duncx said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with it Ray, he said he's been driven mad by more than one private buyer over the week, describing them as "utterly crazy".  He finally lost his rag and just accepted a trade offer to be 100% certain of a smooth/easy sale.

Dave, there's no way he will have accepted £55K - he had a firm offer from me of £61K on the table, with full details of how I would pay by bank transfer and get the car collected. I reckon he used my offer as a 'backstop' for the trade buyer and accepted the same figure or very close. Makes sense if you think about it, for all he knows I could have turned out to be another 'utterly crazy' private buyer :lol:

You say that Dunc, but if he’s daft enough to lose £16k on it in 2 months, he might have just cut his losses and accepted a lower trade offer to get the deal done (perhaps not as low as my 'bend over sir' 55k suggestion though).   He obviously needed the cash.   Did he give a reason for sale?

Just now, duncx said:

Ray will probably confirm - he said to me that he bought it as a daily and just couldn't get on with it, hated it :(

If that’s true, classic case of more money than sense then.   Maybe not for much longer 🤪🙂

Gutted it has gone to trade! My guess is B&C... we will see! It will retail at 68k all day long.

In some ways he created his own issue. If he had priced it at 64-65k he would have filter out some of the dreamersand would have known who was genuine even if we actually ended up with 61/62k. If he accepted below 60k then he is fool frankly.

I doubt there was anything untoward... too short a time to fix a smash etc. I personally could not daily a 410 no matter how low the miles. After all I destroyed the front splitter on my V6 on the entrance to our co-op carpark... I can only imagine that with CF 410 splitter!!

Was looking forward to following Ray or Duncx in the mean gold machine and like Adam gutted its gone to trade and even at his asking price it was well in a dealer profit margin so doubt he as let it go for much less. For me the Exige 410, 430 as hit the sweet spot of Lotus ethos as we move into a new age of motoring it’s probably the model that will be the most sort after. 

A lucky escape if you ask me guys. I’m sure that your offer, Dunc, was on the basis that he actually owned the car and there was no outstanding finance. Perhaps that scared the seller off! On the current 50/50 deal couldn’t he just have taken a buyers cash and run off with a £20k-plus profit and to hell with the finance liability?!

Its a car...albeit a very nice one...there will be others!!

I can't see that there was any finance Phil - I asked for (and received) copies of the invoice (which showed it was paid by credit card number *********1234, as they do) and the full payment credit card receipt with the same number. My only concern was the possibility of a 'log book loan' but he had both keys and the original V5 so that seemed unlikely too. I was going to do a proper HPI check (not a cheapy!) to further cover that risk.

No, I think it was a straight up car, I simply misjudged the situation by making an offer rather than going straight in at asking. Covid further complicated things for me, I couldn't get in the viewing fast and safe enough for my liking.

Not to worry, it's not the only 410 in the world :)

Archived