litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Instrument cluster/dash/indicators

Graham L

Hi all. Any advice welcome. 2008 Elise S.

My instrument cluster has ceased to function - dash doesn't light up, speedo and rev counter don't work, indicators don't either. Headlights, fog and brake lights OK. Is this a common problem with an easy fix? (fingers crossed!).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was contemplating an Aim  dash cluster so was watching how to change it(looks pretty easy) anyway it shows there is a connector which im guessing may of come away. Only an educated guess. Certainly not mechanically minded. Worth a try surely. Would explain the problems.

Sorry if you've already checked this but is the battery voltage ok? The whole instrument cluster is VERY sensitive to low voltage so if the car has been sitting in the garage for a week or so this can be long enough to cause problems. Also, if the battery is getting towards the end of its life then the cold weather won't help to keep the volts at a healthy level. Definitely worth checking properly 👍

Try these:

a) Disconnect battery -ve and leave for 20-30 seconds or so, then reconnect 

b) Locate the Ignition Services fuse in the fuse box and check that it's seated correctly and not blown. 

If none of the above help then check out George’s AiM video. 

If you scroll to the end it shows how to get your original unit out and how it plugs in(could be a loose connection). Pretty simple to get to the back of the unit. Another one here that shows more detail

Coxy 

I watched the guys at B&C fit my AiM dash, really simple process and very plug and play, a short drive after installation in learn mode so it gets the gear changes and all’s good. Great bit of kit.
Apologies to Graham for the thread drift.

6E3FB20F-8F70-4855-84B9-74BABF8B6541.jpeg

Thanks for all your tips. Appreciated! Been away and need to get on to this this week. Will let the forum know what the problem was, for future reference, as soon as I know.

Further bafflement is that everything seems off, including indicators, yet wipers are working!

Indicators only work with the ignition on, wipers work on the accessory position.  Double-check that for your model, but it suggests a fuse or ignition problem rather than the dash itself.  Check what does and doesn't work.  Reversing light might give a good clue.  Hazards?  Any tell-tales at all on the dash, such as an alarm light or main beam indication?

My local garage had a quick look this morning. They removed the binnacle, put it back in and that got the dash lights working. They then cleaned the area around the fusebox, where there was an accumulation of leaves - which brought the speedo, indicators etc back to life.

In return for all your tips and hints I can offer something back. When I drove away and got home I found that the car would not lock, and I got a triple beep from the alarm instead of the usual single beep. A quick internet search advised me - via another helpful thread on another forum - that removing and refitting the cover panel over the fuse box rectifies that little problem! Apparently if the cover's not fitted back snugly you get this alarm problem.

Hello,

1) I just mounted my dashboard and the AIM camera on my Exige 410 2019, but the objects are seen in inverted mode, the objects on the right appear on the left and vice versa, does anyone know how to correct it? I cut the green clabe and white cable and it does not work.

2)the airbag light stays on despite to have my Exige equipped with an airbag.

3)I can't make the dashboard buttons work with the engine running and without moving. It is very uncomfortable to have to turn off the car to make any configuration

Hello and welcome to MLOC - very nice car you've got, let's see some pictures at some point!

Sorry but I can't help with your questions, surely you are better asking AiM themselves - I understand that their customer support is very good and I'm sure that they wil have heard of all of these issues before.

Best of luck sorting, nice thing the AiM dash :wub:

17 hours ago, Yeguy said:

Hello,

1) I just mounted my dashboard and the AIM camera on my Exige 410 2019, but the objects are seen in inverted mode, the objects on the right appear on the left and vice versa, does anyone know how to correct it? I cut the green clabe and white cable and it does not work.

2)the airbag light stays on despite to have my Exige equipped with an airbag.

3)I can't make the dashboard buttons work with the engine running and without moving. It is very uncomfortable to have to turn off the car to make any configuration

1) Are you sure you’ve mounted the camera in the correct way? AiM is all plug and play, you shouldn’t have to be cutting wires.

2) Airbag light shouldn’t be on, again this is automatically taken care of as long as you disconnected the battery before installing. I’m unsure from your post if you have an airbag car or not? Once the airbag light has been tripped it’s a dealer/someone with the correct diagnostic kit to reset it.

3) You have to be stationary for the AiM unit buttons to be operative, it’s a safety feature. All menus should be operative with the ignition turned on, in fact the unit shouldn’t be operative until you switch the ignition on.

As above, try dropping AiM an email their technical dept are excellent.

Just another thought regarding the rear view shown by the camera, please ignore me if it sounds stupid! You say that the image is reversed (not upside down) so are you comparing it with the view that you see in your mirror? Remember that the view in your mirror IS actually reversed, whilst I guess that the camera will show the view correctly as it sees it, the same as if you had turned round and you were looking out of the rear window!

El 23/1/2021 a las 18:12, duncx dijo:

Hola y bienvenido a MLOC. Muy buen auto, ¡veamos algunas fotos en algún momento!

Lo siento, pero no puedo ayudar con sus preguntas, seguramente es mejor que pregunte a AiM ellos mismos. Entiendo que su atención al cliente es muy buena y estoy seguro de que habrán oído de todos estos problemas antes.

La mejor de las suertes ordenando, lo bueno es el tablero AiM : wub:

Thank you.

Here I attach some images

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-22 at 9.19.38 PM (1).jpeg

5P9A1712.jpg

5P9A1973.jpg

5P9A2506.jpg

Archived