litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Logo Anyone?

hartleyj

So over 12 months ago (August 19) , Lotus announced a revamp of the logo:

image.png.e89ec22b8367dd9ac2e9fb6ee731cd9a.png

This month (October 2020) I took delivery of a new Heritage Edition Elise. Here's the bonnet badge:

image.thumb.png.22dc3e5d091099669332409037e3f6b1.png

So the question is: 

1) Was my car made last year and just hung around waiting for a quiet period to launch it?

2) Did Lotus decide not to use the new logo after a backlash from UsLot?

3) Are the stocks of badges so high that we'll have to wait until they run out before it's used?

Personally I prefer the old badge, but really, why bother launching a new logo if you're not going to use it straightaway?

What does MLOC think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think thank heavens your new motor has the old badge!

I also think if Lotus 'unveil' a new badge it should be an obvious improvement over the old, and they should immediately use it, and so stop using the old one.  Simple common sense, no?

I realise that this involves questions of taste which are, to some extent (but not entirely I would suggest) subjective, but still, that new badge is (was?) a bit shit.

😁

"Flat" logos are, apparently, very trendy right now.  Can't imagine why, but these 'ere marketing guys obviously think that joining the flat earth trendies indicates a progressive and modern company!  Sadly, it just looks a bit "fifties" to me 🤨.

The new corporate logo was introduced by the new owners (Geely) to take the brand into forward into a new era, for letter heads and all lotus correspondence. It’s a modern flat surface easy to reproduce on any flat surface especially dealers signage. It was never intended to replace the convex originally lotus emblem on the nose of Lotus cars. Let’s face it it’s not the first time Chapmans logo as not change in the company’s 72 years history believe or not it’s changed a lot in that that time. For me the new logo represents the way forward, let’s not be stuck in the past.

Thank goodness for that Scott.  The car badge needs to remain unchanged.  So much history. So much heritage.  I like the new logo on the paperwork.  The two can, and were probably always intended to co-exist.

Interesting - so at Hethel, it’s now on the gate, factory etc.  Does that mean the dealers will have it soon (if not already) as their signage?   But then you walk in and it’s a different badge on the cars?

I can’t possibly Imagine Porsche, who Geely are most keen to compete with, changing their logo/badge and only using the new one on letters and at dealerships, but not on the cars.   That simply won’t happen - their logo is a huge part of the brand and heritage and they haven’t messed with it for good reason.

Don’t get me wrong - I think the old badge looks better, especially on the cars, but the rollout of the new one is certainly patchy, to say the least, but if what Scott says is right, I think it’s sending mixed messages about the brand to potential (big spending) customers.

That said, if Geely want to bung me £10k I’ll happily change the Lotus clock on my garage wall for the new design of course 😂

The Lotus badge has changed a number of times over the years, so don't get too hung up on the heritage.  I wouldn't be keen on having a nose badge that's looks like a child's sticker on my car though.  Haven't seen the new design on any dealer signage, but I try to stay away from shiny pretty (expensive!) things.  Or maybe it was only ever intended for paper and online, not real 3D objects.  The new design is all over Norwich City though, so maybe they're still working on the nose badges.

The timeline misses out some variations, including the non-serif Elan version, similar to the black one shown but in green and yellow.

Lotus seem to be going with black and silver for the Evija,  Some people have fitted them on Elises, works better on some colours than others.  Or green and yellow really doesn't work with some colours if you want to look at it that way.

1) No, but the clams probably were.

2) Probably not as they rarely take on owners ideas.

3) Most likely.

Knowing Lotus they've probably got a big box of nose badges at the end of the line and its just a lucky dip. As its a heritage model I'd keep it original, prefer the badge its got. 

I'm told my car was the first car to leave the factory post lockdown 🤫😉 🤐

🤔

53f4eaa2-b1ad-4593-b5de-39fbc7b8fa1e.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

3c19b9b7-6ddb-4c01-8fd7-982d3d9d666f.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 30/10/2020 at 22:40, lotus111 said:

The new corporate logo was introduced by the new owners (Geely) to take the brand into forward into a new era, for letter heads and all lotus correspondence. It’s a modern flat surface easy to reproduce on any flat surface especially dealers signage. It was never intended to replace the convex originally lotus emblem on the nose of Lotus cars. Let’s face it it’s not the first time Chapmans logo as not change in the company’s 72 years history believe or not it’s changed a lot in that that time. For me the new logo represents the way forward, let’s not be stuck in the past.

So the new badge is on the nose of the Emira!

Of all those I really think the 2010-18 is just perfect. The original a close 2nd. 
All the rest classic eighties rubbish 

The latest iteration just looks cheap  

ive no idea what’s on mine 😬

really hope it’s the 2010-18 I think it is 

too busy driving it 😁

Weather was good yesterday so took it for it’s first decent run out from bewdley to Aberystwyth and back to catch a few flies 😬

3DC6C229-6612-4303-8C03-972CCF999007.jpeg

Archived