litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Winter Project Anyone?

martenr1975

I recently used this place to sell my late father's TriumphTR4 V8. They were excellent and now have a mustard yellow S1 with 73k and an estimate of £9k - £12k in an online 7day auction which I thought may be of interest if someone was after a project..

https://themarket.co.uk/listings/lotus/elise-s1/9ee818f5-d3a3-4a1e-900e-8250c3e121e0?status=live

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Richard, trust all is well mate.

Thanks for posting the link - obviously you weren’t to know all this but unfortunately the car in question, registration S415 RVW, has horrendous chassis damage - I viewed it last year at the seller’s house before buying my own yellow S1.

The advert plays it down, but it is considerably worse than the photos show.  It has had a massive thump on the drivers side, the door won’t even shut properly and there’s a horrible ripple in the chassis behind the drivers seat.   It’s has been bodged together and a panel has been screwed on underneath to try and hide the damage.    Also, the paint has been done by a 5 year old.   Overspray everywhere and terrible finish.  There were lots of other issues too!

One to avoid at all costs....it has changed hands 2 or 3 times in the last few years, sadly people just aren’t checking cars properly and buying blind.   This car should be sold for parts only - it’s the closest thing I’ve seen to a cut and shut Elise.  

I have to say I’m far from impressed by The Market’s attempts to draw people in with the advert....I told them about this last time they sold it and they added more photos of the damage than they have done this time but they still didn’t describe it properly.

Edit - Sorry Richard this isn’t intended to be having a pop at your recommendation, as you obviously weren’t to know and have had a positive experience with them - I’m just frustrsted that the car has resurfaced AGAIN - it’s a complete lemon and needs to be broken up for parts!   I’ve added the reg number so that anyone searching for it will hopefully find this thread and steer clear.

Hi Dave, yes all good thanks. I'm glad you spotted the car and have shed light on the shed. I would have been mortified if someone in MLOC had ended up with it. Looking at previous auctions, it appears as you suggest that the car sold to the current owner through The Market in September 2019. The car sounds like it should been written off. Hopefully there are enough cues in the listing, along with the quick turnaround following change in ownership, for people to smell a rat. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Archived