Adtmits

Evora 3months on

3 months on and I am struggling to bond with the Evora and currently think I’ve made a mistake changing from the Exige 😕.

I am not 100%  sure why I haven’t connected with it, part of it is definitely the defects and poor customer service from Lotus. It’s off to PJS this week for the rattling dashboard, leaks and few other bits of trim to be fixed and I am hoping that will resolve those aspects. God knows when the spare key will arrive and I remain slightly disconcerted lotus have ‘lost’ the original.

There are definitely bigger problems in the world right now, but this might have been my most expensive car mistake to date! I am considering SOR’ing it, but can’t do that until the above are fixed. If they don’t get fixed, then I guess there are other options!

Anyway good to download to those who might understand as the Mrs doesn’t get it at all :)

Hope it puts a Smile on your face when its back from PJS it may have its quirks but its a wonderful car :) 

I was having this discussion with a few people lately.  Cars that get under your skin and those that you just appreciate.  Which cars you love!  Perhaps it’s down to what you buy with your head or your heart.  My first Lotus, the black Elise, there is no reason I shouldn’t have fallen for that car, but I didn’t!  I was looking for a change from the S2000, drove a silver one with red seats.  Decided that was the way I wanted to go, but took a while to find the one I bought.  It was a head decision.  I may have loved the original silver one if I’d have gone for it, who knows.

23 minutes ago, PJT said:

I was having this discussion with a few people lately.  Cars that get under your skin and those that you just appreciate.  Which cars you love!  Perhaps it’s down to what you buy with your head or your heart.  My first Lotus, the black Elise, there is no reason I shouldn’t have fallen for that car, but I didn’t!  I was looking for a change from the S2000, drove a silver one with red seats.  Decided that was the way I wanted to go, but took a while to find the one I bought.  It was a head decision.  I may have loved the original silver one if I’d have gone for it, who knows.

That sums it up nicely! There’s definitely no logic behind it.

Part of this decision was having a ‘new Lotus’.  I did know the exige had got under my skin and it was always going to be a risk selling it.

31 minutes ago, Elisemadray said:

Hope it puts a Smile on your face when its back from PJS it may have its quirks but its a wonderful car :) 

Fingers crossed Ray. PJS are the saving grace, I can honestly say I would have handed the keys back if it wasn’t for their service. The level of water ingress currently is more than a quirk sadly, but I am sure it can be fixed.

I have owned my 2010 Evora NA for nearly 3 years and it’s been frustrating from first days of ownership where handbrake failed to engage to more recently have to replace 2nd starter motor and also find oil sump needed to replaced 

however when your out driving it “what a feeling “ everyone talks or looks at it ! Now I don’t drive it very hard , TBH I seldom see the 3 red lights and yes before I get the comments I drive it according to my own personal driving preference.

Admitis you own a very special car I don’t think you made a mistake you just want to a trouble free ownership period and I am sure you will once these annoying niggles are sorted. PJS are decent lotus guys and I am sure they will sort out the issues and I hope lotus hq can get the spare key found or replaced 

That fabulous photo of your girls through the rear window certainly captured my heart for your lovely car and must have gone some way to helping you warm to the Evora.
Whoever took it (can’t recall) needs to get it entered for the 2021 Callander, with your permission of course.

On 22/10/2020 at 23:58, PJT said:

That fabulous photo of your girls through the rear window certainly captured my heart for your lovely car and must have gone some way to helping you warm to the Evora.
Whoever took it (can’t recall) needs to get it entered for the 2021 Callander, with your permission of course.

Good suggestion Pete.. Dunc is going to submit it. It's a great photo as you say 👍

Edited by Adtmits

A quick and intentionally scant update whilst i can still post on the topic 😕

I collected the Evora on Saturday and unfortunately a number of the items were not fixed (absolutely no criticism due to PJS, who couldn't have done more). 

It goes back to the supplying dealer on Thursday and come what may I wont be having it back. The defects from manufacturer are rather alarming, lightweight and handbuilt are not acceptable excuses for poor assembly, missing parts and lack of quality control. The lack of Lotus engagement compounds the sense of disappointment as a committed owner to the brand.

My exige has sold, so no way I can have it back which adds a little to the frustration. I'll be back in a Lotus at some stage in future and perhaps a slightly older purchase that has had the issues ironed out.

• Sad 1

very sorry to hear it has come to this :( hope things look up 

Sorry to hear about this;  I wonder whether it’s made far worse by the fact that it’s the 2nd most expensive Lotus you could buy, so your expectations are (understandably) much higher than if you buy something at the other end of the scale.  You are totally right to expect it to be right at that price point.

I know what you mean about bonding,  I had my V6 Exige for about 18 months and although it was an animal in many respects, I do get much more pleasure out of driving an Elise S1, so I wasn’t especially gutted when I sold it.   Not everybody is the same of course.   I’m on my fifth S1 now and it probably cost me about 1/10th of the price of your GT410, I’ve done a comprehensive but inexpensive refresh on it, and it’s an absolute peach to drive.

If you are rejecting the car and getting a full refund from the supplying dealer, I would whole heartedly recommend going back to basics!

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 18:16, Jonathan E said:

Some you love, some you loose. Everyone bangs on about the 160 Elise but you couldn't give me one, the one I owned lasted just over 4 months, total crock of sh1t that I just couldn't get on with, then there are others that I'd have back in a heartbeat. I guess the fact that they are actually screwed together, rather than robot produced is some of the reason as it creates character, some good, some not so. I've had previous Lotus that have been nothing but trouble and feel for you, I hope they sort it for you and you can get the smile back.

👍

What was wrong with the 160?  Most people who don’t “get” them often bemoan the lumpy idle and you have to drive around the kangarooing at low speeds because of the aggressive timing overlap, but did you have some other issues as well?

Some of it was nativity on my part, certainly as far as the idle goes as my Elise gets used for holidays which can lead to lots of town driving. Other than that there were paint issues, flaking and micro blisters and an oil leak that the dealer  just couldn’t seem to fix. I wanted to love it but ended up falling out of love with it. It happened to be a 160 but could have been any model, but things like that tend to cloud your judgement hence my comment above. I appreciate the 160 is considered to be the Elise holy grail but that’s how it left me feeling, just a bad experience which I decided to cut my losses with👍 Quite a few years ago now, every issue meant a trip to central Birmingham to get it sorted/looked at or the Lotus field engineer check it out...  just a pita and just unlucky I guess.

Sorry to hear of the o/p’s issues it’s a really shitty situation to be in when you’ve spent so much money.

Sorry to hear about your Evora problems Adam, shame becasue the 410 is an real beauty :( TBH though if I was looking for an Evora I think I would be looking at an older/cheaper NA car with near zero depreciation - 90% of the fun for less than 50% of the cost B) 

On 17/11/2020 at 19:46, Adtmits said:

A quick and intentionally scant update whilst i can still post on the topic 😕

I collected the Evora on Saturday and unfortunately a number of the items were not fixed (absolutely no criticism due to PJS, who couldn't have done more). 

It goes back to the supplying dealer on Thursday and come what may I wont be having it back. The defects from manufacturer are rather alarming, lightweight and handbuilt are not acceptable excuses for poor assembly, missing parts and lack of quality control. The lack of Lotus engagement compounds the sense of disappointment as a committed owner to the brand.

My exige has sold, so no way I can have it back which adds a little to the frustration. I'll be back in a Lotus at some stage in future and perhaps a slightly older purchase that has had the issues ironed out.

That is a real shame.  Not sure what's going on at Lotus then, but it looks like quality control has, unfortunately, gone through the floor.

I've had my Evora N/A Sports Racer from new and it'll be six years old next March.  And even though I was a bit of a serial Lotus buyer for several (aka, lots of) years prior to my current Evora and Elise S (220) pairing, I haven't once felt like I needed to change either of them.  They're both outstanding examples of Lotus at their best, so it really is saddening to hear horror stories like yours.

Hope you manage to get your Lotus mojo back at some point.