Sign in to follow this  
626coupe

6.4 Powerstroke cold air intakes

Hi guys new to the forum (forums in general) so if this topic has already been covered I truly apologize. Just bought a 2010 F250 6.4, and I couldnt be happier. I was looking into cold air intakes and began to wonder if it was really worth it, there really arent many bends/curves in the factory box, and it doesnt seem like the cold air intakes out there are really grabbing at any colder air. Find more information I could on this site Could I just buy an aftermarket filter and get comparable results as if I used a cold air intake?

Hi 626

Here is what I think is the science behind CAI.

In hot air the molecules have more energy and are more active. They are pinging about and are more sparse.

In cold air the molecules have less energy and don't move around so much (by comparison). Because of this the molecules have the ability to be more densely pack together. You can have more molecules of oxygen in the same volume of air. More molecules of oxygen means more bang! means more power.

The best way to find out which is best is to experiment. There are many filters and there are many CAI. Try it with your preferred filter then try it with your preferred CAI. Good luck with the Ford F250.