litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Engine management light on

ssjp

A couple of days ago I went out in my s2 k series Elise and on starting there was a noise behind my head like driving along with the door ajar, 

I hadn’t started the Elise for over a week and it was hooked up to a trickle charger. ( it’s only driven about 200 miles this year)The battery light remained on longer than usual about five ten seconds but the noise remained, I continued to drive and unfortunately as I joined the a14 my engine management light came on and the car went in to limp mode, other than a loss of power the car seemed ok, I then came off the next slip road about five miles down and the car on stopping was struggling to idle dropping to an almost stall, I got the car home and plugged in the code reader, which shows p0133, o2 sensor slow response Pre cat, p0304, cylinder 4 misfire and p1301 misfire causing emission increase. The spark plug looked ok, The coil rubber was a bit brown, but nothing stood out and the noise continues. I will replace the plugs and coil but is there anything else I need to look for.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to read about your engine woes - what a pain in proverbial !

If you watch a car programme like wheeler dealers they find a fault code got straight the item replace it and sell the car for a profit.  When you read the forums it's seldom that straight forward.

Alternator as Lithopsian says

Poor / corroded / faulty wiring or connectors is the common recommendation made as a 'first thing to do'  

cam position sensor is mentioned on a few forum posts as a common underlying culprit behind some cars presenting similar symptoms to yours.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

MrWill

The new coil pack arrived today but yesterday I took the under tray off and it was coated in oil that was baked on, I knew the car had hgf and had been repaired a couple of years ago by the previous owner and the oil was there then. but I thought I would have a good look around and there seems to be an oil leak from somewhere I need to trace. The dip stick appears below minimum so that isn’t reassuring though no oil light came on. I had only checked the oil the previous week and it was fine.
The alternator I thought could be a source as this is the 3rd alternator in the last two years the current one was a new one from Rimmer bros and has only done approximately 500 miles.

It doesn't sound good. 😣

If it was me, faced with that, I'd be getting it recovered to a good lotus garage where they can better diagnose the problem otherwise you may be chasing your tail trying stuff in hope and spending money doing so.  A garage can compression test / electical fault find, quickly replace parts to test with one off the shelf etc etc. 

I hope I'm wrong and next thing you fit resolves it. Good luck

MrWill 

When you say the oil was low was there any in it. That sounds like bad news? As you are in Northampton i would get it recovered to Stevie G. Top man and he and his men will sort you out? Search Guglielmi motorsport on facebook and ring or message him.

9 High March industrial estate NN11 4hb

There was some oil on the dip stick. But it looks below minimum, my plan in to pull the sump drain plug and see exactly how much oil is in there when the weather dries.

its a shame as I had been away and the week before I went I thought I’d check the oil and it was fine it was just below maximum I changed the air filter and went away for the week. As it was a nice day A few days after returning I decided to use the Elise for the school run to keep the rust off the brakes as it is due it’s mot later this month, I was hoping it was some sort of air hose leaking or the alternator seized due to the rain. But after seeing the oil on the floor pan I’m fearing the worst now. 

I am getting the car transported to Leicester to an old friends garage he should be able to do it as he used to rebuild race car engines if not then Martins advice sounds the best, Since the other week I have taken undertray and diffuser off and no fresh oil was on them. there is a leak of oil under the car I have not gone under far enough to see due to all the rain we have had. New coil was fitted oil is ok oil pressure is ok, no engine light on on idle, no rough idle but still the noise. Can see exhaust leak on flexi part of flexi pipe and spotted I’m missing a bracket off the rear toe link!

616EC2EA-E3D9-4F11-8707-9301F605612F.jpeg

AD36DCFA-B140-44D5-BC66-0B45DAC74257.jpeg

460ED521-2336-4B6A-B8E5-D9DEF5F36A58.jpeg

DC5A0E95-5E71-4BF6-A8A5-03CF312812A4.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

How you getting on, did your friend get you back on the road?  The Undertray came up lovely 

ps they only ever put one heat shield over the left toe link to protect from the exhaust heat.  Not needed on the other side. 

pps The asymmetry  annoyed me so I fitted one to the other side too.  But had to drill and tap the holes, looks like you're already good to go.

This is an S2, right?  Some got two toe link heat shields, some didn't.  Not sure whether it is by model year or engine power or just random.  The driver's side is further from the exhaust so less of a problem, but I put one on my S1 anyway.

Archived