litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How rare is my car?

jako999

Simple question?

I think it’s time to part will my Elise but not sure. It’s a 2009 SC in burnt orange, in the 5years 4 months I’ve owned it and all the events I’ve been to I’ve only ever seen two other one’s. Now is it super rare and worth a lot more then I think it is or is it just I haven’t seen them?

Its not with out it’s problems front clam has a small crack and wants a respirated, air conditioning not working, rattling noise from I think a rear heat shield and a few other minor bits mileage a little high at 51k but it looks stunning, good service history, 2bular exhaust, TRD air box, touring pack, recent refurbished alloys in satin black, reversing sensors.

A dealer has offered me 19k and I know it needs a few k to put it all back as it should be but is that way to low or should I even keep it and watch it go up but then I have to find somewhere to put. I think it worth more but then there is the hassle of people just wanting to come and look and thinking they are going to drive it and the holiday season has finally started so will be away a lot till the winter and although there’s still lots of family at home I wouldn’t trust them to sell it👎👎

Oh what to do😳😳

A2A42B7E-ED1D-49DE-A9D4-ED50710A77FF.jpeg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good in the picture.  I believe the colour is one that sells quite easily.  I free your quote is a couple of grand under.  That era on elise were only made from 2008 to 2010.  After that the engine changed.  There are not too many about. Trouble with Lotus are that they are all individual and rare so I don’t think rarity commands too much premium.

I wouldn't class it as rare as such possibly just uncommon. As said above nearly every car is slightly different.

Colour wise it's an easy sell.

Mileage wise 51k for an S2 Elise is acceptable. It's the run out of the revvy 2zz engine so that's a bonus.

Rattles should not effect the price as "TADTS"

Body work wise. You'd be surprised that getting the clam fixed and painted won't cost you the earth.

I'd suspect that if you've been offered £19k by a dealer I'd assume it was Will B or Jon Seal. They'd be looking at sorting the paint and advertising for circa £25k.

If it was me I'd get the body work sorted then stick it up for low 20's say 22/23k. It's prime selling time currently as the sun is out.

Hope this helps 

Alex

I agree with the replies made so far...

Nice car but not rare, sadly not really worth anything extra over pretty much any other Elise SC of that age/mileage. The offer of £19K is about what would be expected for a straight cash purchase by a dealer, but with a bit of fettling it would be up for sale on their forecourt for  £25+K. As Alex says, £22-23K private sale should see it shift pretty quickly and you can filter out the timewasters on the phone :)

Or, left field option, you could try the Collecting Cars auction website for a hassle free sale. I have watched most of the Lotus sales on there and all of the modern stuff has sold in excess of what the seller could have achieved from a dealer purchase. In some cases cars have even gone for more than a private sale - crazy! Costs you nothing as the seller.

https://collectingcars.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZ-QxN3b6gIVArDtCh0aMAB0EAAYASAAEgJftPD_BwE

Good luck whatever you decide.

Like others have said there aren’t many SC’s about because of the financial crash and because Lotus was going through the Bahar days and there were some interesting decisions made. 

I’ve got a chrome orange SC and love it. Last year dealers had them up at around £26-27k but with Covid and jobs it’s probably going to have taken a tumble. 

Maybe worth put the standard parts back on and you’ll get a few quid back for mods assuming you’ve still got them. 

I also think the dealer offer is about right. Colour and 2zz-ge helps saleability rather than value add imho.

Some of the mods (2bular/airbox) are desirable. I’m not sure of canard style bits for example. Depends if you have time to fix the other bits too.

Do you know what your moving to next? Lotus to lotus always helps the px price when via a lotus dealer rather a trade purchase.

Archived