litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 screen replacement

collieek

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The clam is off at the moment I have just had the original one painted so it is just screen supply and fit. I have found a couple of people who sound ok one in Lincoln and one from Mansfield who will come out to my house. The screen is for my S1.

Autoglass are often recommended, they are all over.  Your experience may vary depending on just which branch you get.  Quiz them a little and try to get someone who has fitted to an Elise before.  An experienced fitter (or more likely two) will be able to fit the screen without completely removing the clam.  Unless the bolts are seized, they can easily be loosened and the clam lifted slightly at the front edge.  Make sure the mirror is fitted in the right place (ie. not the middle!) and everything else is pretty standard.  Paying one person to remove the clam and another to fit the screen could get pretty expensive if you're paying yourself, but might help your peace of mind if you have a trusted local mechanic.  Or you can remove the clam yourself.  It isn't hard on an S1, just a bit time-consuming.  Well worth making sure all the bolts are free and greased, even replaced if necessary.  The fusebox rawlnuts are almost certainly rusted beyond use.

If the clam is off the fitting should be ok.  Whilst the screen is the same for the S1, S2 and S3, I believe they have to remove the trim from the screen to install it on an S1.  As suggested above, ask if they have done it before.  In my case they said yes and wanted someone else to move the clam, so I believed they had done it before.

I have found a couple of people quite local who will supply and fit at my house both have experience, between 360 and 500 depending on glass manufacturer. Autoglass wanted 1100 to start with then came down to 800.

On 11/06/2020 at 16:51, collieek said:

I have found a couple of people quite local who will supply and fit at my house both have experience, between 360 and 500 depending on glass manufacturer. Autoglass wanted 1100 to start with then came down to 800.

is it not covered on your insurance?

No unfortunately car has been off the road for a year or so while I fitted the electric water pump and the original front clam. 

Big mystery how the screen has been damaged think it might have had damage and it just went with the cold during the winter. 

Archived