litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Side door hinge panel, bolts non-existent!

denzel2364

Hey guys, need some help here.

The side door hinge inspection panel bolts were seized and rusted to dust. In fact one them just spins so i managed to wiggle off the panel fortunately only damaging one of the holes.

The issue i have now is that one bolt just spins in the hole and the second is just a rusted stump. Is there a way of accessing from within the sill from above so i can bolt it down. The last thing i want to do is dremmel of the nut and a bit of metal sliding up and down the chassi.

Sorry for the poor picture, hopefully you can see the bouncing bolt on the left and the rusted stub on the right. Unfortunately its the same on the other side too!

IMG_7216.JPG

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nuts should be bonded to the sill, but they can come loose.  If it just spins, there's a good chance it is no longer bonded.  If you remove the front speaker trim panel, there is access to the sill and you should be able to retrieve anything that drops inside.  Once you're there, you should be able to sikaflex some stainless bighead nuts so that you never have to go in there again.  I think this is the same on all the S2 models, not sure which one you have.

1 minute ago, Lithopsian said:

The nuts should be bonded to the sill, but they can come loose.  If it just spins, there's a good chance it is no longer bonded.  If you remove the front speaker trim panel, there is access to the sill and you should be able to retrieve anything that drops inside.  Once you're there, you should be able to sikaflex some stainless bighead nuts so that you never have to go in there again.  I think this is the same on all the S2 models, not sure which one you have.

Thats brill, thank you. I will have a look. I have the Elise 111R.

Archived