litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Traction control warning light

CDM2018

My warning light came on after my once a week journey 

go on 40 mile round trip so spend a couple of hours with my young daughter and light came on when I arrived 

on return journey light came on half way ?

not serviced car for a year but only done 5k admittedly journeys of no more than 70 miles 

I know or think that my brake pads and discs are wearing is this related ? Or are my tyres wearing related ? 
any help thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most likely, your multi-stage Brake Light switch is faulty.  The switch provides a signal to the ECU/ABS in addition to triggering the brake lights.

The switch generally appears okay to a simple continuity test on both sets of contacts, but contact-phasing is critical.  If signalling is out, you get the warning lamp - and shut down of stability and cruise control systems.

The first pair of contacts (that directly feed the ECU and nothing else) are normally-closed - and open upon first pressure of the brake pedal.  The first pair contacts ensure that Cruise Control is signalled to disengage - prior to closure of the second set of contacts that (a) illuminate the brake lights and (b) provides a trigger input to the ABS control module.

Either way, behaviour would suggest that timing is causing an error condition with inputs to the ECU/ABS modules.

A new switch is the simple fix - approximately £65 from your favourite Lotus dealer.

For info, the switch that came out of my Exige Roadster (same part) has three GM part numbers molded into its casing: 09 132 299 / 09 175 172 / 09 175 185.  A trip to your local Vauxhall dealer will likely result is a worthwhile saving.

Cheers

the light went out for a few times I drove the car and then came on then went out on return journey this week? 
so I am hoping to get car serviced at a newly opened LJR garage who have experience of Lotus as they are a minute drive from me 

I seldom use cruise control but wonder if I get this after washing the car ? 
i am not good at tech side actually a real spanner don’t understand so apologies if I appear a little dim ? 

Archived