litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Scratched Fuel Filler Surround Ring Exige S2

Jamie B

Hi all.

First post on this forum. 

I did a quick search for this but couldn’t find anyone who has this specific issue, only on replacing/upgrading the ring etc.

So the aluminium fuel filler ring surround on my Exige S2 is scratched and it bothers me every time I get in or out of the car.  The scratch is too deep to polish it out.  Photos attached.

I could replace it with a new ring, or a new type/colour of ring, however I was thinking about painting it to cover up the scratches.  Either in silver so it keeps the same current colour or in black to match some of the other trim. 

Question – have any of you painted this ring in situ on the car?  What type of paint did you use and how did it take?

Thanks

fuel filler surround 1.jfif fuel filler surround 2.jfif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jamie and welcome 

Buy a new one 😁

Why would you paint in situ if its easy yo take off and then do a much easier / better Job? I'd take it off to paint. Buy a new one 😁

I can't view your pics but if the scratch is really deep primer will only go so far so you'll need to fill anything really deep and sand back so it doesn't show through the paint?

Would be a satisfying project to do and if it doesn't turn out as you want... Buy a new one 😁

Will

Thanks Will.

Yes, buying a new one and installing was Plan A, but I took a hex key to it before posting and found that two of the bolts were rounded off.  Drilling those out right above my fuel tank didn't strike me as a great idea, hence painting in situ as Plan B!

Jamie

You may be able to get the damaged bolts out using a torx bit. I keep a set for that purpose as stainless allen bolts seem to be quite prone to rounding, especially countersunk or button head ones.

If not, careful drilling of the head should be fine. Use a bit that's the same size as the thread so you don't enlarge the holes and one drill deep enough that the bolt head comes off the shank. Once you've removed the ring, that should leave enough of the bolt protruding to get a grip on it for removal.

12 hours ago, Jamie B said:

Thanks Will.

Yes, buying a new one and installing was Plan A, but I took a hex key to it before posting and found that two of the bolts were rounded off.  Drilling those out right above my fuel tank didn't strike me as a great idea, hence painting in situ as Plan B!

Jamie

Send me a pm with your address and I’ll send you a spare one I have. I should have the bolts as well 👍🏻 Don’t want anything for it, buy me a drink one day 😂

Thanks, that's very kind of you!  I shall indeed buy you a drink once all this social distancing is over!  I guess I need to start practicing removing stuck bolts before I attempt it on the car!

Jamie

7 hours ago, Jamie B said:

Thanks, that's very kind of you!  I shall indeed buy you a drink once all this social distancing is over!  I guess I need to start practicing removing stuck bolts before I attempt it on the car!

Jamie

No problem at all. Once you’ve got the bolts out you’ll need to slide something behind to split the double sided tape that holds it on. Soft plastic scraper or something similar.

Archived