Sign in to follow this  
Chris Richards

Chargers/Trickle Chargers...

I have a garage without power, and an Elise 111S with a flat battery.  Obviously it needs charging, but what is the best way to maintain the battery once charged?   Does anyone have any experience of solar trickle chargers (I know I'll need something more powerful to get it charged from flat) or is there any kind of power pack which can be charged, then used to trickle charge?  In summary, I'm after:

Recommendations for chargers

Recommendations for any kind of trickle charger that doesn't need constant mains power

Many thanks!

I know it won't help but I can recomend Ctek charger/conditioners I use one on my 111r, if your garage is secure dont put the alarm on, just lock via key in door this way battery will stay charged longer. If the car is used very infrequently take the battery home and leave on a condition charge.

I can recommend these, much better value than CTEK and the 4A mode will charge it from flat faster.   They are widely recommended on other Lotus forums as well.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F121219067543

I don’t know anything about Solar chargers, but to keep the battery charged you could think about fitting an isolation switch perhaps?

Solar chargers are invariably low current so are suitable only for trickle charging.

There are some decent, low-cost chargers around that can recover deeply discharged batteries - both Lidl and Aldi offerings are good (I have two Aldi units which have been excellent and, interestingly, the Lidl one is the same as the Mayday version from eBay, but at a lower price). 

Also available, although I haven't used one personally, are lithium jump start packs. Whilst these won't recharge a dead battery, they will do as the name suggests and they can be charged up remotely prior to use.