litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Smart repairs any good?

Mrker60

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they know what they're doing, small damaged areas will be virtually like new.  It isn't some tiny sprayer just on the scratch.  The method is basically the same as a regular respray but only a small area is actually taken back to primer and this is then blended in with the rest of the panel.  With heatlamps and fast-drying paint (and power tools!), the whole thing can be done in a few hours.

A lot of small scratches, chips, or scuffs can be fixed really quite well yourself, but it is time-consuming and results probably won't be as good until you've had a bit of practice.  Small scuffs or marks that haven't penetrated all the way through the clearcoat can be polished or compounded out very easily, anything that hasn't gone right through the colour layer can also be done quite well.  Chips though the colour can be difficult to match properly just by touching up, very difficult for metallic paints.

Hi Mark, the above is correct, but having seen your car recently I don’t think you need any smart repairs - it was in superb condition.  

If anything it’s just a matter of polishing out a few scratches here and there.   You’ll see them much worse on your car because it’s black, but it was still in superb condition and I don’t honestly think it needs any paint!

I have used a couple of inexpensive Meguiars products recently, 105 and 205 compound are a good combination.  If you do a bit of googling you can find out more, they can be applied by hand or for better results with a polisher.

Thankyou.

I do my own da work removing swirls etc.

But a lump of black plastic sheet shot out from under a wagon and made a sort of cut not deep but would need building up .its a tiny mark about 8 mil but I would like it doing.

I cant polish that area with the da,s i have it is on the edge of the front clam facing down where the front inspection panels are.nearer to windscreen.

Think i was lucky as the plastic sheet gave the car a reet battering and only this mark.

Archived