litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New member and first piece of advice please re Elise trickle charge

Morty

Hi..Finally a Lotus Elise 220 Sport owner and newly joined MLOC. I’m really looking forward to some events this year and meeting many of you.

First bit of advice please....is there an easy way of keeping the Elise on trickle charge without having to remove the front panel each time !

Thank you................

8ED499FF-92D8-424E-93A1-353BB73713A5.jpeg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Morty,

Welcome to MLOC, lovely looking car you have there, is it your first Lotus?

There's sure to be some Sunday morning run outs just a soon as the weather settles so keep an eye out for those and of course there will be our main event - Lotus in the Peak in July.

On my old S1 Elise I wired a jack plug into a spare switch on my dash. I'm not sure what folk do on the later variants but someone will be along soon to advise you I'm sure.

PS

I've moved your post into the 'General Talk' section

Hi.   Thank you for the reply and apologies if listed in the wrong section... I have finally fulfilled a boyhood dream of owning a Lotus, so yes it’s my first. I live in the Peaks and looking forward to LIP as an owner this time ! 
👍

1B052AB5-0554-45FC-BB64-BD2D958E13F7.jpeg

Hi Morty,

welcome aboard! As a relative newbie I can confirm you will be made very welcome.

I use the CTEK battery connection lead as per amoss post and it works fine. You need to remember to disconnect before driving off! (I always leave the engine bay open as a reminder!)

9 hours ago, Morty said:

Hi.   Thank you for the reply and apologies if listed in the wrong section... I have finally fulfilled a boyhood dream of owning a Lotus, so yes it’s my first. I live in the Peaks and looking forward to LIP as an owner this time ! 
👍

1B052AB5-0554-45FC-BB64-BD2D958E13F7.jpeg

Where about in the Peaks?  I’m in Brassington.

• 3 months later...

I’ve only just seen your reply.  I think I spotted your car from a distance whilst on a bike ride. My eyesight could just about recognise it was a lotus from the road.  Looks like a farmhouse. 

• 2 weeks later...

on my S1 I had to mess about with the screen wash bottle to get the crocodile clips on to the battery terminals and the bonnet un latched to charge/trickle charge the battery, I soon got feud of this

so I wired directly to the battery terminals and brought the ends of these wires to the front grill, now it’s only a case of getting out my Aldi or Lidl trickle charger (I have both only around £13 and have had no issues with either of them over the past 7 or so years)

at the grill I fitted the DIN power plug, much better for connecting to the battery to charge or to use 12v DC tools from, like tyre pump or 12v DC power jack

P1190270-SMALL.jpg

P1190257-SMALL.jpg

P1190251-SMALL.jpg

05SMALL.jpg

I also have a power plug in the boot,

06SMALL.jpg

here even with a cigarette converter plugged in

07SMALL.jpg

Archived