Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hello, New to Forum Specifiying a new Lotus

Sawda

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, lotus111 said:

On my 5th Lotus now a Evora but for me the 250 is the best car i have had so far.

You should come back from the Dark Side Scott, I miss seeing our Cups lined up after a good run out :)

That does look great Dunc, and thanks for your perspective. I guess it all comes down to price. An older 250 with the closed shifter would still suit me fine as long as the price is right. One thing I do know from my short time in the Elise and the 220 cup on track is that they are very capable cars and very enjoyable. Looking forward to have one in the garage.

2 hours ago, duncx said:

You should come back from the Dark Side Scott, I miss seeing our Cups lined up after a good run out :)

There you go Duncx one for the memories and yes you never know could be tempted coming back to the dark side 😈

849DBC76-3639-4C56-9145-665BB099CFBD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So decided that the 250 will suit me perfectly. Couple of nice examples around I will take a look at later this month. Still looking at a factory order too as the allure of 50/50 finance is useful as is warranty etc. Im aware the car market is struggling, as are most markets to be fair, and a cup250 is a niche car from a niche supplier. What if any discounts are people getting from dealerships? I have spoken to a few but the car is hard to justify spending over 50k on its where my head starts to take over. Some cars I have seen for sale since the summer! Donst inspire a lot of confidence to part with hard earned cash, however Lotus is not mass market so should take longer.

Im pretty confident I will be joing the lotus fold soon for the first time in a 250 just dont know which one :)

Looking at 2017 cars they are at dealers for £38k so realistically private £35/36k. You’ve lost 14/15k in two years. All it comes down to is personal preference and your circumstance. If you can afford to lose £14/15k in two years then you have your answer. Forget the lure of the 50/50 deal, you’re still lumping £50k into a car! Personally buying new cars especially Lotus has never been for me and one or two on here will tell you I’ve bought a few!!

If you watch the used market very closely I dare say you could pick a 250 Cup up and use it for it a year or more and sell it for the same money. 

Totally agree with Cakes regarding buying a used 250 and a year on selling for similar money, as for my experience buying a new 250 back in 2016 I did get 7k discount and purchased the car on 50/50  and was a factory order, two and half years on sold the car with a loss of 7k. Only thing I would suggest if you do decide on a 250 colour seems to make a difference when it comes to resale.

Thanks Guys, being new to Lotus not sure how much dealers are ready to move as will be a factor in the purchase, 7k seems very good. To loose 7k over 2 1/2 years with the benefit of having a new car isnt too bad at all (have lost way more in the past :( ) but like most cars they are a depreciating assest. With regards to colour I really dont mind, they all look good, not sure if some have better reale than others, slight preference for a louder colour but its thedrive that intrests me most. Always seems strange to talk about selling when buying but I guess we all do it as got to look at overall cost of owner ship and affordability. I know if I spend less I will feel less guilty and have more money for track days :) . All your experiences are very useful in building a picture of what to expect so I thank you for sharing.

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 23:55, lotus111 said:

Totally agree with Cakes regarding buying a used 250 and a year on selling for similar money, as for my experience buying a new 250 back in 2016 I did get 7k discount and purchased the car on 50/50  and was a factory order, two and half years on sold the car with a loss of 7k. Only thing I would suggest if you do decide on a 250 colour seems to make a difference when it comes to resale.

Youll have to teach me your ways, the market is worse than 2016 (in my opinion anyway) and best I have got is jus £3k off on 50/50 or 5k off on finance. This is for stock cars too and not a factory order. Still shopping around to see whos motivated. I know that of course 50/50 fianace is a cost but pretty sure you cant descriminate on selling price based on how its funded. Anyway no hurry my end as we are just starting winter but still ready for the right deal should it appear.

6 minutes ago, The Cakes said:

I’d be ringing every franchised dealer and tell them what you want to pay. Try Ben & Tom at JCT600 Leeds Lotus, they’re usually up for a deal. Especially in the middle of winter! 

Worth a try. Thanks 😊

Archived