litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Roof rear tensioning cable snapped

hotpurple

As per the title, does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Apparently Lotus don’t consider it to be a serviceable item and don’t stock spares. The car is an early S2 with the long tail roof. The roof still works, it just doesn’t pull right anymore. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Cakes said:

From memory I think the VX220 part is cheaper (exactly the same). Google is your friend. 

Its not the same, thicker cable and less likely to snap.  Crafty Plates is the co. that sells them - on ebay too

Lotus do stock them, but often on back order :)   Had both mine go on the cup within the first 18 months, which really is rubbish !! 

Luckily the dealer replaced under warranty, @ £100 + each isn't a joke tbh.  Crafty Plates ones are around £50

1 hour ago, Martin 111S said:

Its not the same, thicker cable and less likely to snap.  Crafty Plates is the co. that sells them - on ebay too

Lotus do stock them, but often on back order :)   Had both mine go on the cup within the first 18 months, which really is rubbish !! 

Luckily the dealer replaced under warranty, @ £100 + each isn't a joke tbh.  Crafty Plates ones are around £50

I meant as in it will fit. 

Isn't the rear cable on the long tail longer? The ones crafty plates advertises on ebay are the front ones I believe (although I think he can make up what you want)

Coincidentaly my front cable broke on Friday while traveling back from Bakewell and it was hammering it down!! I had to try and lash it up with duct tape to stop it acting like a parachute!

I'm in the process of making a repair on mine by making a slightly different end piece at one end and using a length of new cable, cos I'm too tight to pay 50 quid 😂

Ah yes, the long tail does make a difference. I need to find a way to feed the cable through the roof material. It’s in a sheath like a bike brake cable but the ends are not removable, from what I can see. I need to take a better look at it in good light. I have a feeling they are stitched in there. 

23 hours ago, hotpurple said:

Ah yes, the long tail does make a difference. I need to find a way to feed the cable through the roof material. It’s in a sheath like a bike brake cable but the ends are not removable, from what I can see. I need to take a better look at it in good light. I have a feeling they are stitched in there. 

I think you have to peel back the fabric at the ends (I'm sure there's a write up on Seloc)

On the front cable one end is either crimped or soldered in and the other floating with a nipple. I have made a new end with 2 small M3 grub screws (like a solderless nipple) to crimp the cable in position, if this works ok it will be easy to slip a new cable in if it happens again.

I imagine you could do the same on the rear if you can be bothered with the faff, I just like to prove I can do it! 🙂

Archived