litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Winter Work (Next year Trackday readiness)

stockhome

Hi All

I have had a really quiet couple of years with the car, i think i only drove it a few times in 2019. So next year will be different, i have booked Le Mans with Lotus on track in August and will being trying to do a fair few trackdays before. So i have to spend a bit to get the car up to spec and maybe look at some upgrades. My ideas are

New Tyres: Full new set of tyres thinking of Toyo R888R , i need new rears and the fronts are pretty old now.

Brakes:  I currently have Pagid rs42 but wanted to swap to  Carbone Lorraine RC6 as the fronts are pretty low, i ended up getting rid of my 308 alcons discs as i could not stand the squealing. Bleed brakes with Motul RBF660

Cooling: I had Gav install a Rover KV6 oil cooler this year which should help keep oil temps down, But i would like to get a Electric water pump as well, i know a few of you guys have fitted them and would welcome any advice.

Upgrades: Possibly upgrade of cams and or get the emerald map updated as it struggles to get through the MOT. Get exhaust manifold ceramic coated as the car keeps eating alternators even with a TechnoFibra Heatshield

Any other recommendations or advice welcomed. 

Oh yes for you that don't know me i have a early s2 elise 135 Sport

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheldon, i did Le Mans it was 36c and the EWP worked a treat. A no brainer on a K IMO. You may have to butcher the N/S wheel arch liner at the front if you fit it there. I did but it does not bother me.

https://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=353170&page=1

I cant remember if you have Spitfire toelinks? Another must do IMO for trackdays. The only thing with CL6 is they do produce a fair bit of dust. It sticks like you know what to a blanket if not removed quickish. I was going to upgrade to the BBK till i tried them with EP ally bells (288m). I have never felt the need to since. I wrapped my exhaust after going through a couple of alternators. No trouble after that. I will be doing a trackday in March at sometime and will give you a shout. Let me know if i can help with anything?

If you don’t like squealing breakers then go for RC5+ and not 6’s. 6’s can be terrible. Brilliant on track but really noisy at low speed braking. Anti squeal shims help be get fried every track day. All from personal experience. 👍

Sheldon, i may well have a part (front) or full (both front and back) cl5 if you want to try those first in my garage. Let me know. I have never had a set fail and its all i used for years. Not quite as good as cl6 but still more than good enough for the odd trackday.

Ap at the front With 4 pots. Ep at the back with 2 pot rear conversion. Backs have been really bad especially at low speed. I love rc6’s on track but the noise on the road is a bit annoying. I use Elise parts anti squeal buffers which helps but a track day destroys them. I did a couple of years of track days with rc5+ And no real problems. Just prefer rc6’s on track. 

• 2 months later...

Cl5 pads are phenomenal. I've had numerous sets and never had a set fail.

888R are very highly rated, haven't had any experience of them myself. I'm currently using avon ZZRs on track and they are fab.

Hope to see you out on track this year then!

20 minutes ago, Alex B said:

Cl5 pads are phenomenal. I've had numerous sets and never had a set fail.

888R are very highly rated, haven't had any experience of them myself. I'm currently using avon ZZRs on track and they are fab.

Hope to see you out on track this year then!

Very little difference in grip levels between ZZR and R888R. However the ZZR last a fair bit longer.

46 minutes ago, Martin R said:

Very little difference in grip levels between ZZR and R888R. However the ZZR last a fair bit longer.

Only thing to note on ZZRs is the E marking is missing on newer tyres meaning legality issues 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived