litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Rain leaks, aircon failed help please

jako999

Hi all my two front foot wells are very wetšŸ˜©Ā 
I know both the lower window corner trianglesĀ leak but their not that bad, is there anywhere around the top under the dash that leaks?

I once had a Smart roadster barabus and that used to pour through the wiper motor tray unless you removed it and re sealed it. Coming back to the corners where the windows slide up the gap in the rubber is very wide and the rain seeps round and in can they be fixed or is it replace only as the appear to be glued in?

My aircon has failed which makes it even harder to clear the condensation off the windows the blue light comes on but no cold air. Iā€™ve noticed there is no increase in revs so the pump is not running. I know where the filler is but is there an inspection window for the gas, what are the common faults with this system and what are the repairs. Does anyone close to south Birmingham have a vacuum tester for the aircon should I need one.

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant help with the A/C as I've never had it on an Elise. The soaking wet footwells points towards the chassis leaking, best thing to do is to remove any mats/carpet, dry the floors, put some newspaper/blotting paper in the footwells and take it for a run in the wet. if the paper gets wet you'll know you've got a leak in the chassis floor, it only takes a small miss with the glue and water will get in. I've had two previous Elises that leaked via the chassis so its more common than people think. On the bright side its relatively easy to sort and at least the water won't pour all over the cars ECU as it does with smart roadsters.Regarding the window rubbers, you can try adjusting the windows which can help, swapping from soft top to hard top usually requires this, but if you always use the soft top then also try fabsil on the roof especially in the roof gutters, and divers silicone grease on the rubbers. In my experience its TADTS but these are things that can help.

Thanks I see you know about the Smart ECU then.

Iā€™ve had loads of carsĀ all rag tops and no mater what they are they all leak including the 911 turbo and even the SLK AMG which was a folding hard top you would think by now someone would get it sorted. I donā€™t really mind the wet itā€™s just not being able to see out of the windows mind you I kind of have a cure for that I use the Karcher window vacšŸ‘

Iā€™m of the opinion that S1ā€™s withĀ rubber mat floor corrosion issues were victims of leaking tubs, how else would water get under the mat?, and why were some so badly affected and others corrosion free?.Not a problem with S2ā€™s and their loose laid mats.

Anyway,Ā just for the record Iā€™ve attached a picture of an Elise in the US that suffered a leaking tub. It leaked along the blue lines, the water then ā€œwickedā€ up the side mats(yellow dots) giving the impression that the water was coming in from the top.

Best solution if the chassis is leaking is to take the seats and carpet out then seal around the whole floor where it meets the chassis with sika 291i, or as a cheaper option use a silicone free sealant, also run a bead of sealant along the panel with the black and white line as it can leak there too. My 111r leaked where the red line is.

Once the car is no longer leaking the condensation will be dramatically reduced, then Iā€™d suggest either a couple of small bags of silica or a moisture trapĀ https://www.lakeland.co.uk/24687/Advanced-Safety-Moisture-Trap-and-Freshener?src=gfeed&efid=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxAJnVNJJdETyzT13KMBdUyHsMSXfMUeiYWUgyPO7mNOl9egCk9q-X4aAuAXEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!251275987869!!!g!44001837968!&ev_chn=shop&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxAJnVNJJdETyzT13KMBdUyHsMSXfMUeiYWUgyPO7mNOl9egCk9q-X4aAuAXEALw_wcB:G:s&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxAJnVNJJdETyzT13KMBdUyHsMSXfMUeiYWUgyPO7mNOl9egCk9q-X4aAuAXEALw_wcB

link is for a Lakeland one but they are loads cheaper and just as good from Home Bargains.

Had a Smart roadster for a few months between Eliseā€™s, if people think Lotus leak they should own a smartĀ for a whilešŸ¤£Ā fun car with some great ideas but, certainly no Elise.

7D9F9500-24C9-4B83-B823-E60AE465A7AD.jpeg

Archived