litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lake District mini tour

marky_p72

Hi all,

I am going with some friends for a walk/hike in the Lake District on Sat 14 Sept (Catbells I think) and the plan is to stay over on the Saturday night afterwards. However, my friends are planning get up on Sunday and come home! So I am thinking about taking the Elise with a small tent, then going off on a mini tour on my own and camping on the Sunday night. Then continue mini tour on Monday and then head home.

I have camped in Eskdale a long time ago, so would like to end up there. I remember going along Wrynose and Hardnott Passes (in a 'normal' car), so I'm wondering if the Elise can handle the extreme & steep hairpins or best avoided?

If anyone has any tips on this or anywhere else good to drive in LD it would be appreciated.

Or even suggest a route back to Peterborough (through Peak District??)

Thanks in advance!

Mark

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your car is not extra low it should not have a problem with any of the passes. TBH, whilst the roads are steep modern cars don’t really have any trouble, even my old mini 1000 could tackle them (30 years ago). Almost everywhere is stunning in the Lakes.  If I could do one walk on a sunny day it would be from Buttermere up Haystacks. It’s not difficult but it stunning, it was Wainwright’s favourite, his ashes are there.  We did our first hike there in over 20 years a few weeks ago, Fairfield Horseshoe. Not the greatest of views but a good 12 miles with lots of climbs. Managed it as we both push 60 in about 6 hours but needed a beer on returning.

As for drives, any of the passes are great, Tarn Hows early in the morning or evening, take a trip to the Langdales..almost anywhere is a great drive.  If you come back through the Peaks head for Buxton and from there go in the direction of Bakewell, and Chatsworth, then the a6 south, to Cromford, climb the Via Gelia and go to Carsington.  If sunny, you can’t go wrong. 

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the info. My car is still standard ride height, so that sounds good. Still not sure if Hardnott and Wrynose are best avoided!! I will remember your suggestion of Haystacks.

Fingers crossed for the weather now.

Cheers again

Mark

Archived