litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

River in my boot!!!

Neilshannon27

Evening all, 

I have had my lovely lotus for nearly a month now but for 2 and a half weeks of my ownership I have been on holiday. So its been a while since she's been washed and as it's been a lovely summer evening I though I would give her a nice wash ready for the lovely weekend weather we are planned to have (first time I have washed her) . 

Only issue is after cleaning the car I took the hardtop off and thought I would put the soft top on which was in the boot. As I went to get it out it was soaking wet. 

Then realised the carpet was all wet too. So I took the carpet out to hang on the washing line and then removed the foam too as that look like it was full of water which is when I saw a river or water just sitting there, took ages to get it all out with an old drying cloth. 

Now some background the car is not garaged and sits on an incline driveway, bonnet up boot down if that makes sense. 

Is this a common thing? Is there a fix? 

Not sure if it's from washing her this evening (most likely) or it has been building up while sitting on the drive while I was away with all the rain that we have had the last 3 weeks.

Any advise on how to fix, what/where to look would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the drain holes aren’t blocked and 
check the plastic rivets/heads that hold the grilles on and seal them. These were known to leak water into the boot. 

Could be from overzealous cleaning 😉

1 hour ago, The Cakes said:

Check the drain holes aren’t blocked and 
check the plastic rivets/heads that hold the grilles on and seal them. These were known to leak water into the boot. 

Could be from overzealous cleaning 😉

Thanks will do, do you have have a picture of where the drain holes are? 

Also when you say seal them, can you do it with that black rubber sealant stuff you can buy from halfords? 

Yeah I might have to buy a less powerful pressure washer 😔 

I have issues if I park nose up, the drains are at the front of the boot back of the engine bay, if the nose is up hill the water just sits in the lip when you open the boot it goes in. 

25 minutes ago, R5K said:

I have issues if I park nose up, the drains are at the front of the boot back of the engine bay, if the nose is up hill the water just sits in the lip when you open the boot it goes in. 

Issue I have is that I have to park nose up. Its on a stone drive and is deep at the top so if I park ass up the back wheels just digs in and buries itself 😔 

Need to find a fix for this somehow

As said above nose up is the issue, the drain holes for the boot are way back in the engine bay, water slowly fills from the rear of the boot channel and overflows into the boot.

S1’s have a pipe fixed to the channel over the boot, the pipe runs down through the boot floor and the water drains away, unless you knock the pipe off while loading luggage and then the water just drains straight into the boot🙄. Lotus reintroduced the pipe system on early 111r’s but had problems with the paint bubbling on the rear clam where the drain pipe was fixed and so did away with it.

A lightweight cover will solve the problem, or tarmac the parking space and reverse in👍

Its another little idiosyncrasy of Lotus ownership, it’s why we all love them so much🤔🤣

If its not a steep slope, hard to tell of the Pic, if you went on a bit further and then reverse back onto some caravan type leveling ramps to raise the rear end up to level?

Something like this:

image.png.23564c976688c2ea1c18facb32c8ba5e.png

on mine ths issue isn't the holes in your picture its the ones at the front corner (large arrow) and the water pools at the back (small arrow). Mine only leaks if i open the boot that I've noticed after cleaning but it lives in a garage. My drive slopes upto the garage.

1634157014_DSC_0355(002).thumb.jpg.2d484ff4e358388c1cfe0670a115ae41.jpg

On 24/08/2019 at 12:22, Neilshannon27 said:

I have had a look this morning and guessing the holes are for the drainage but rubber seal has a massive slit in it which can't be helping, think I will need to put some sealant on it and around the plastic screws too IMG_20190824_112030.thumb.jpg.f41afc96401db7f84501713bb39717c4.jpg

IMG_20190824_112314.jpgDon't think it's a split , more likely where the two ends of the seal meet .

OK so rather than pay loads of money to tarmac the drive as I am looking to move within the next year I thought I would try and create a drainage system. 

Bought some 8mm rubber grommets with a 4mm inner circle for some 4mm tubing. And then drilled 2 holes right at the back and ran the tubes down to pop out in that gap just above the number plate (pictures only show one hole at the top but I put 2 in quite close to each other) will have to wait for some rain now and see if it works. 

IMG_20190830_155910.jpg

IMG_20190830_155913.jpg

IMG_20190830_163001.jpg

IMG_20190830_163024.jpg

Archived