litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Need Your Help

LRS7

As one of your older members I recently went to view the Holy Grail of M100 at Paul Matty's  https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/lotus-elan-s2-the-last-one/ but unfortunately was pipped at the post ..... but while I was there I noticed an Elise which caught my eye. I know nothing about this model so who better to ask than you lot ! So with a 20K entry budget ld love to see your  alternatives https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/lotus-elise-111s-touring/

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not a 111S, it's the 134 bhp Toyota model which is not the best, in my opinion. They are much heavier (100kilos nearly!) than K series engined cars but still not very powerful.  I would look for a 111S for the same money (it would be an older car but would hold it's value better) or a supercharged Toyota engined car.

Dean is right, your link is to a 134bhp 1.8 Toyota engine car - don't confuse this with the earlier 1.8 Rover engine cars or the 189/190bhp 1.8 Toyota engine cars!

The 'S' as mentioned above is no firecracker but it is a very nice car for normal road use. Reasonably torquey, totally reliable 1.8 engine (no cambelt) and 5-speed box, facelift interior with a better dashboard layout and overall a much improved build quality.

In this price range you could also look for ....

An earlier 111S (Rover) for less weight and more character.

or a 111R (Toyota) for a screaming engine and 6 speed box.

(I doubt you could find a supercharged car for £20K)

I much prefer the 111R but others will strongly disagree :lol:

For every 111r lover there’s a 111s lover, and then you’ve got your Honda lovers too, and before that you have to sort the S1 vs S2 vs S3 debate. 🤣🙄

Considering selling my 111s at the end of the summer, fully sorted with less than 30k miles, and I bet it’s in better condition than those above, got me thinking what its worth now... like all older Elise’s good ones are getting hard to find and as always crap ones will cost £££’s to sort.🤔

Thanks for all your comments guys really helped to start on my understanding of these Elise’s

think the next port of call is to put bum on seat and take a few cars out over the next few weekends and see how they perform, I suppose the next question would be what to look out for in an 111s or 111r to make that car stand out above the rest ? 

I do still like the looks of the S Touring and appreciate the comments the S1 and S2 seems to be increasing in value, would you not think this model will follow suit? Also it seems underpowered as you pointed out (134bhp)  is there any engine modifications available that could boost this? 

‘Also spotted this 135R a little out my price bracket and also looks like a holy grail car that shouldn’t be driven rather only brought out for special occasions! https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/lotus-elise-sport-135r/

Drive them all, that’s the only way you’ll ever know. You’ll not think twice about a 134 bhp S when you’ve driven the others 👍🏻. Not worth wasting your money upgrading one when you can simply buy one of the other options, which are faster. 

I have a bit more confidence with a Toyota lump in 190bhp+ form behind me than any K series engine. Don’t know why as I’ve not had bad experiences either way but I would go 111R. 

This is the fun part, deciding which one 😊

These were my 111s and 134bhp. 111s was a lovely car bit more character than a 111r. Can’t find a pic of the 111r I used to have, that was storm titanium. Think the S lasted about 4 weeks 😂 

054FFA96-C6E5-4779-9B88-F211DCD0755B.jpeg

F2B5C912-6F31-44D0-B683-53EB34C3DDDC.jpeg

Orrr cheers Cakes lovely looking motors you’ve had, I’m going to have lots of fun testing out a these Elise’s 😄. Do you come down to the Clock WareHouse  would love to discuss it further over a pint 

111R

I've had mine from new since 2006. It's been incredibly reliable (holds breath!) with very little apart from routine maintenance. Disks, pads, remote control unit and routine servicing has been the sum total over 61,000 miles.

I am currently mulling over moving on to a 220 Sport, only because of the extra low down torque.

If you do look at a 111R, the sport chip upgrade (circa £400) blends the transition to the second cam much more smoothly than the  standard version. I expect most will have had this done by now..

The values seem to be on the up, but I expect your budget will put you in a good one.

Happy hunting!

DSC_7716.JPG

Seems all the values are going up Hartley on the early models, and thank you for the pointer on the sport chip it looks like everyone leaning towards the 111R as the go to entry lvl Elise. From all your comments you all chop in your cars in the Autumn \ Winter months maybe that’s the time to buy ? 

It did make me chuckle though (holds breath) that’s what do every time I turn the key in my Elans 😂

if you fancy parting with your R Hartley let me know on Pm 

47 minutes ago, LRS7 said:

looks like everyone leaning towards the 111R as the go to entry lvl Elise. 

😂

No, don't think this until you've driven all types on offer!

Some people (not me) really don't like the 111R at all - it's not a particularly torquey engine, it's a real screamer but doesn't come properly 'alive' until you hit 6200rpm (or 5700rpm with lowering chip fitted) and then it really goes :drive: If you like drama and playing with the gearbox it's a great car, if you prefer a more relaxing experience then it's probably not for you and a 111S might be better :)

8 hours ago, duncx said:

No, don't think this until you've driven all types on offer!

Some people (not me) really don't like the 111R at all - it's not a particularly torquey engine, it's a real screamer but doesn't come properly 'alive' until you hit 6200rpm (or 5700rpm with lowering chip fitted) and then it really goes :drive: If you like drama and playing with the gearbox it's a great car, if you prefer a more relaxing experience then it's probably not for you and a 111S might be better :)

This in spades, I had a 111r and initially loved it, but my Elise is more of a road car than a track day car and I grew tired of constantly having to thrash it to get the best out of it, as above you can fiddle with them for lower cam change etc but the engine in the r is very buzzy.

Try them all then make a decision.

Oh, forgot to say the arse end of the 111s looks so much better😀

62E69E59-9FE1-41C5-9C6A-AEFEEE22F6E2.jpeg

Archived