litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Good vibrations.

MrWill

Been experimenting with various engine mounts recently. Just on  b roads though not out on the track. 

Like with many things in this world we're often presented or unnerved with a problem we  didn't know we had or were going to have - like engine mounts which can fail or are so soft we'll all  get lift off oversteer at the first corner we next go round and almost certainly end up in a ditch. Luckily these same people usually have a solution for us if we're willing to hand over some hard earned cash. 

I started this little experiment just replacing a rusted sump bracket and deciding to replace the lower engine mount at the same time.

OEM engine mounts: very comfy. No issues handling wise on a b road blat. Nothing wrong per se with oem. While  main engine mount brackets have failed I've had it on good authority that aftermarket one's have failed as well which is probably a higher failure rate per 000/units than oem.  But don't let some reality get in the way of a good story. 

Elise parts lower engine mount and sump mounting bracket: liked this as no change in NVH but really stiffened up the engine rocking front to back. I thought I could definitely-maybe tell a small difference during some spirited driving.

Then went with the elise parts uprated gearbox mount. As above. Very happy No increase in  NVH.  Yeah,  I 'think' it is a bit tighter at the back now. 

Then tried their main engine mount. This one isn't rubber like the other two it is polyurethane. Way TOO much NVH for me at normal drving rpm circa 2500-2700. Really annoying buzz through the cabin... And me. Not sure about the single bolt design for seating it onto the rear chassis section either.  Engine wasn't  moving at all mind you and was perfectly fine when pressing on into the mid threes, fours and fives, just really annoying when driving normally in traffic. 

Then I Bought the vibra technics fast road kit. Brilliant. Well made, fits well; the Engine is as solid as before and the NVH is only a very (very) small increase on OEM set up. If you want to solve a handling problem you didn't realise you have and avoid a main engine mount failure you've not had... yet ; I couldn't recommend this kit more highly. Main engine mount looks cool too. 

A bit like Pip in Great Expectations, I think I've essentially come back to where I started. However I've gone and solved all those problems I didn't know I had and while I'm alot poorer as a result, I'm also a lot richer in another way.. And I've got my good vibrations back at normal driving rpm. 

Seriously though In The spirit of Chapman always looking to find a better engineering solution; the only one I wouldn't do again for road driving is the eliseparts main engine mount. Hope that helps anyone thinking about engine mounts in the future. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers :cheers: it's my pleasure. Really struggled to find a review of the vibra technics kit, So thought a quick post would remedy that. It really is a great bit of kit 

Hi Mike

It's was a K. I don't think vibra technics make a set for the yota which is a shame because it's what I'd recommend...but check it out in case I'm mistaken. 

The hardened rubber mounts seem the best compromise based on my experience Like with wishbone bushes Sometimes new oem rubber is going to be an improvement on original perished rubber, and shouldn't be ruled out. 

I'm a bit wary of some offerings which seemed to have just poured polyurethane into a mount without much testing. Where I have used poly bushes I've found Super Pro poducts to be really good and my go-to brand

Good luck 

Will 

Archived