litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

1997 S1 Elise Bonnet Hinge replacement

gingerbloke

My 1997 S1 bonnet has steadily been getting tougher to open (actually swing open, the catch mechanism is fine), I've undone the three bolts and the remaining section was so lose that it came away in my hand (the rivets had given up).

Some WD40 has got the hinge moving again, but only just. Can this part be ordered somewhere? Or can it be stripped and repaired? Or is there a better/newer option of some sort?

Very surprised at how heavy the bonnet actually is on this car, I know the Elise S1 needed some mass at the front but still!

Any help/info much appreciated.

Adam

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can certainly buy the bits for the hinge mechanism, but you probably don't want to or need to.  Comes in several pieces.  For example, the "hinge rotor", the big piece that bolts to the bonnet itself, is 130 quid from Elise Shop.  The bracket, the piece that should be rivetted to the clam, is much more reasonable.  The "hinge" is simply a bolt that runs through the bracket and a tunnel at the end of the rotor.  So salvage what you have, clean it, grease it, maybe replace the bolt (and washers and nuts) with something that won't get all rusted up, and stick it back to the clam.  Replace the bracket if it is badly corroded.  Probably bolt it unless you're good with rivets, sikaflex is useful with rivets to stop them breaking again.  Fiddly with the clam on.

Easy enough job to sort once rusted bolts are removed / snapped ones drilled out.

Steel in aluminium which gets wet isn't the best thing. Keep it greased and moving once done.

Nice job!

A word of warning, when you refit the bonnet, aligning the latch mechanism can be a right pain. It may look right, so you shut it, only to then find you can't open it again!

Been there, done that!

...and if you do get it wrong, make sure you have the locking wheel nut doofer to hand so you can get a wheel off to reach through and release it from underneath.  (Also been there. 😉)

1 hour ago, gingerbloke said:

You guys have got me worried now.......

I think its an over-played problem, but it certainly gets your heart rate up when you pull the handle and it doesn't open.  Unless you've got it really badly aligned and then forced it closed when it didn't want to go, it can be freed by pushing the bonnet in one direction or another so the catch is more central and it will pop open.  Take care that the catch is aligned with the hole when you're adjusting and you'll be fine.

I agree with Lithopsian, however, if it does go wrong, you can resolve it easily as long as you can get a wheel off. It’s a job where slow and steady really is the best course.

Archived