litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

A small favour...

Alex B

I appear to have a wheel wobble and I'm trying to rule out wheels. 

So does anyone have a spare set of alloys with tyres/just a set of fronts with tyres I could borrow to see if the steering still vibrates? 

Thanks

Alex

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than welcome to pop down and borrow mine Alex, only thing is, it is a bit of a trek for you.  I'm literally just (less than 1/4 mile) off the A14 about 15 miles from the M1 junction.  Handy for a quick spin to check them though.  Just put brand new R888R on them too

Alex

I don't have spare wheels, but I had front wheel wobble problems last year. Lots of trips to my local tyre guys, who kept insisting the tyres were 'distorted' and the only cure was new tyres. They showed me the wheels spinning on the balancing machine. Still had 3 or 4mm left, but bit the bullet and put new fronts on and while not 100%, it was a massive improvement. 2007 111r with AD07's at the front. Just food for thought.....

4 hours ago, Louise Shipley said:

What about geo check contact Ben at www.pjslotus.co.uk tel 01283 500428. Geo check 45 pounds

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Geo have been checked at several garages. 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, marky_p72 said:

Alex

I don't have spare wheels, but I had front wheel wobble problems last year. Lots of trips to my local tyre guys, who kept insisting the tyres were 'distorted' and the only cure was new tyres. They showed me the wheels spinning on the balancing machine. Still had 3 or 4mm left, but bit the bullet and put new fronts on and while not 100%, it was a massive improvement. 2007 111r with AD07's at the front. Just food for thought.....

My wobble has be present with two different sets of tyres now, so not sure tyres are the way to go. 

I'm thinking the issue may be with a wheel. 

Is whoever is balancing them applying weights on both the inner and outer edges Alex? I had an issue recently where a tyre fitter 'balanced' my wheels with just weights on the inner edge. I had a wobble so took them back and watched them balance them again, still with weights just on the inner edge and still the wobble was there even though their machine was saying they were balanced. I went somewhere else (ETS on Alfreton Road) and they balanced them properly with weights on the inner and outer edges and hey presto - No wobble!

9 minutes ago, Phil S1 said:

Is whoever is balancing them applying weights on both the inner and outer edges Alex? I had an issue recently where a tyre fitter 'balanced' my wheels with just weights on the inner edge. I had a wobble so took them back and watched them balance them again, still with weights just on the inner edge and still the wobble was there even though their machine was saying they were balanced. I went somewhere else (ETS on Alfreton Road) and they balanced them properly with weights on the inner and outer edges and hey presto - No wobble!

I've checked this already Phil. However will go back through it. 

I've had my wheels balanced at various places in the last 12months. 

1 hour ago, M@r]{ said:

I take it that's a no you don't want to try my wheels then Alex?  :D

Haha not at all Mark, I'm definitely interested to borrow your wheels. 

I'd written a PM on Facebook just forgot to hit send. 

Alex

Out of interest what tyres do you have fitted?

When I had my Exige I had terrible steering wheel wobble at roughly 70mph. Did absolutely everything and nothing solved it. 

I was then told to change the tyres from A048 to R888 I didn’t think this would work for a second but desperate to sort the problem I changed them and low behold sorted it instantly!!!

I also know  other people who had this problem including SImon CIVRY on MLOC who solved it by doing this too.

Mark

Hi Alex,

you are welcome to borrow the fronts of my road wheels, they have Contis on but run true on my car without any vibration.

i'm over in Derby on Friday and don't mind dropping them off for you on my way home.

Archived