litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

AD08R V’s ZZS

Kevin

I’m looking to MLOC collective knowledge for advice....

I’m looking to change the current Toyo T1-R tyres, on my S2 Elise with OZ Racing wheels, and looking to replace them with either of the following;-

Yokohama Neova AD08R: Front 205/45/16 83W - Rear 225/45/17 91W

or

Avon ZZS: Front 195/50/16 - Rear 225/45/17

I don’t Track the car so the replacement tyres will be only used for spirited road use!

Any knowledge/experience on the use of either is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Kevin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not used the Avons, but running AD08R's at the moment, no problems, great grip in the dry pretty good in the wet/winter.

Fast road use on 250 cup :) 

But grab them while you can, as the EU in its wisdom will be banning them. Got a pair of rears on standby for when the current ones need changing.

I have AD08's on my Exige but I have never really used them in anger, good though.  I do however have ZZS's on my R300 which I only track and they are bloody brilliant wet or dry.  Obviously they'll let go quicker than standard road tyres in the wet but it's progressive and dry, grippy as ***k 😄

I'm currently running ZZS on the Elise and as Jonny says they are great tyre on track and I find they more than adequate on the road even in the wet if you respect the conditions.

I've also run AD08R's and can highly recommend them, If my car was used on the road only I would go AD08's, you wont be disappointed and they come with more tread than the ZZS

11 hours ago, DeanB said:

I haven't tried either, but worry that running 205s on the front might upset the balance and make the steering a bit heavy?  Is this not so?

I didn't notice any issues running on my S2 Exige and many owners are running this setup, However part of the reason not running them on my Elise is I wanted to keep the tyre size as Lotus intended not to alter and of the feel / handling.

11 hours ago, DeanB said:

I haven't tried either, but worry that running 205s on the front might upset the balance and make the steering a bit heavy?  Is this not so?

Not in my experience, the Cup came with A048's  which felt ok, swopped to the AD08's on the 205 and the steering was so much lighter :) I expected the car to feel really heavy at slow speeds, but not the case.

Wife runs Yokos on her S1 and I run Avons on my S2. We both do alot of 'spirited driving' in the Peak District and I cant tell any difference between them, but we never drive in the wet. As @andy states above, there is more tread on the Yokos as Avons are more of a track tyre, so would suggest Yokos are a better bet if you use your car all year round.

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

All,

Thanks for all your constructive feedback, very helpful and ill go with the AD08R’s and order this week.

Kevin

I actually got the best deal off ATS in Uttoxeter, which surprised me!

• 3 weeks later...

AD08R’s now fitted and first impressions are good. My next question is about tyre pressures as they have come out of the garage with 26psi on the fronts and 29psi on the rears does this sound right to those that are running AD08R’s o

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Archived