litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Newbie says thanks for the tyres...

99 Elise

So yesterday I got rid of the (almost) original Pirellis on my 1999 Elise S1, the oldest one was 19 years old 😮

After reading everything I could find on here and on seloc I decided on a set of Yokohama AD08R in the larger 195/50/15 225/45/16 sizing. Based on more reading on tyre pressures I've set them at 23psi and 25psi cold. (Jefferies Tyres, Bromsgrove, £340 for all 4 fitted and balanced)

The car is transformed — absolutely solid, much smoother ride than before and soooooo much grip.

I drove it across from South Birmingham to Warwick around the lanes, even with the road being greasy and wet I couldn't upset things. I tried a couple of emergency stops to get a feel for things and couldn't get anything other than a totally reassuring straight line stop with no lockups.

Driving home in the dark and the rain was a little more stressful, not because the car or tyres did anything unexpected, but because I'm new to this. I did arrive at some bends that were tighter than I expected going faster than I would have liked and, well, the elise just went round them. No drama.

As a newbie to the Elise I just want to say a huge thanks for the forums and wikis and everyone's contributions — it's so helpful!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff.  A word of warning though, (from one who has the unfortunate experience) especially on damp roads, it is very very easy to lose the rear when turning in to corners off-throttle.  And when they go they go bloody quick.  Slow in - fast out should be your mantra

I know what you mean. I got rid of all 4 original pirellis from my 2001 car in 2017. Transformative. 😎

Driver training aside you've made the most (cost) effective performance mod to your car... Its the law of dimishing returns from here on in.  😜

Happy driving

Archived