litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

GRP GT Rear Lights

slartibardfarst

For around a month now i'd been aware that 4 LED's in my rear light had blown.  For anyone who doesn't know, it's a seemingly common problem that will eventually see them all fail.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/diy-how-i-fixed-my-burnt-out-led-tail-lights-pics-videos-164321/

Despite my efforts to repair them, it was not doable.  In my case the led's weren't the problem, the driver chips were.  It may be possible to find replacement chips but after 3 days i'd had enough faffing and decided just to replace them with something nicer.

A company in America called GRP makes these GT mk2 rear light for Elise, Exige and Evora.

https://www.gregsraceparts.com/

MVIMG_20190131_131853.jpg.36af58ef045e33a185b47a4dbfdc4bcb.jpg

IMG_20190131_131532.jpg.d1d03b36532306ca79ffa5623b07a7eb.jpg

IMG_20190131_133120.jpg.52be0365cc8d085d4e5c36cb56d49877.jpg

IMG_20190131_132810.jpg.45659fff6d915b039b0b3323d7313d72.jpg

I had them setup so all 4 rings are lit with the running lights.  Don't really know why Lotus didn't do that by default, looks much better.  Reverse and fog lights are the same as stock.

I'm very pleased with them, really modernizes the car plus i won't have to worry about them failing like the stock ones.

I'll add some night pics when I get a chance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do look good, I'm tempted.  You've probably seen the guy with the yellow V6 Exige (HE11 SLO), he's had them for a while, apparently, they had to keep going back as they kept failing.  May have been early sets so better now?  Anyway, EliseShop supply them now, so at least if there are issues you have someone local to deal with returns rather than shipping back to the states.  Only thing stopping me now is I can't decide what style to get, there are about 4 different options, tinted lenses, reflectors etc  :)

1 hour ago, M@r]{ said:

They do look good, I'm tempted.  You've probably seen the guy with the yellow V6 Exige (HE11 SLO), he's had them for a while, apparently, they had to keep going back as they kept failing.  May have been early sets so better now?  Anyway, EliseShop supply them now, so at least if there are issues you have someone local to deal with returns rather than shipping back to the states.  Only thing stopping me now is I can't decide what style to get, there are about 4 different options, tinted lenses, reflectors etc  :)

There are 2 versions, these are the mk2's that came out in November i believe so hopefully whatever issues have been sorted.

Lotus originally had  all 4 lights working on the first S2’s but it failed the type approval tests, something to do with them being separate light units and being too close to each other??. I only have the old type non led lights on my S2 but all 4 work as was originally intended, simple mod on the old style...... 

Archived