litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise S1 Wipers... again

99 Elise

OK, so I've read through threads on here and on seloc, and the wiki articles and more.

I know the original wipers on the S1 suck, and the answer is to upgrade to the S2 wiper arm.

But... my S1 is totally original, everything is as it left the factory and it seems a shame to change it.

So, I spent time looking around on parts sites and they all seem to think they have wiper blades that fit. Here's just one example:

https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/elise-years-1996-to-2001-wiper-blades

I'm guessing none of the listed blades do actually fit and it's just their compatibility data is wrong?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s the S2 that has the U or hook type wiper arm IIRC. I upgraded to an S2 arm on my old Elise purely to have more options for blades. 

If you worried about originality, you could always keep the S1 arm and revert to it if needed. 

As im sure you’ve read, the flat ‘aero’ blades are quite effective on the curved Elise/Exige screen. You could also look at changing the wiper relay- but then that wouldn’t be original. 

S2 has the hook arm.  S1 has a pin and clip system which just requires a hole of the right size through the centre of the blade.  Take a look at your blade to double-check.  On the underside of the "lump" where the blade attaches to the arm, you should see an r-clip recessed into the arm.  You can fold it out and slide it off the end of the pin, then the pin will slide out of the hole in the blade.  Very simple once you've seen it in action.

The compatibility charts at these places are hopeless.  For example, the one you link shows 26" wipers which won't fit on the S1 arm.  You need 24" or even 23", because the arm is longer than the S2 version, hence closer to the edges of the screen.  Even a 23" blade will probably lift slightly at the very edge of the screen, a 24" definitely will.  You can always measure your arm for comparison and decide what length you want to go with next.

The attachment on the linked arms is designed for a hook as on the S2.  Luckily, several types of blade designed for the hook arms actually have the hook adapter fitted in a hole that will take the pin from the S1 arm.  One that I know works is the premium Lucas blade shown in your link, although again you probably won't want the 26".  You have to remove the centre adapter before you fit it.  One of the Bosch blades also works the same way, I think the SP23 like in the link but again a different length.  I can double-check if you want to buy it.  If you look at the pictures on the website, you can see the centre hole that the S1 pin will go through once you get rid of the hook adapter.  You might try mounting a 26" blade through the hole not in the middle of the blade, so it is overall closer to the pivot.  Not sure how effective that would be, but if you're desperate to cover as much screen as possible.  Just remember the spring on the S1 arm isn't very strong.

Or just replace the rubber.  Not hard, but fiddly.  Maybe not worth it if you can get a decent blade without paying Lotus prices.

Follow up - the Bosch SP23 fits once you're removed to hook adapter. There are three holes remaining once the adapter is removed. One of them is off-center and is a perfect fit for the S1's retaining pin.

Archived