litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Elise Owner - What don't I know?

99 Elise

42 minutes ago, 99 Elise said:

OK, done some reading around those. This is a 1999 Elise, so I think that's after they stopped fitting the MMCs and the discs hold a magnet, which suggests they're not the aluminium-ceramic of MMCs?

I think they're the cast iron OEM discs.

Yes - I think MMC discs were dropped in late '97 or early '98.   TBH unless you're doing track days galore I'd prefer cast iron discs nowadays.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, kieranexige said:

Hahaha sounds like coming from my Exige to my elise... What assistance. 

Hang on a minute matey - last time I looked your 190 was an S2 (though still very unassisted of course) !!   S1's were a bit more raw - but I bet you love it, I have to say taking the S160 out now and again after the V6 Exige is pure joy, so much feel.  You forget that less is more sometimes..

A motorsport built S2 with a VHPD engine offers a more ‘raw’ experience than the majority of S1s including my own - which is a bit naughty. That engine plays a huge part in the experience - probably the suspense of it detonating behind your back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a very fair point Luke - I was comparing to a more standard K series S2 - never actually experienced the delights of a VHPD yet.   The 160 is reasonably characterful in the S1 but I’m sure the VHPD turns it up a few levels...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived