litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Winter work.

Martin R

Spent a fun few hours in the garage today. I dropped the rear clam off, changed the cam belt and retimed the cams. It looks like my crank seal is weeping as well, deep joy. I have still got to change the hand brake cable, sort out the alarm and oil and filter change. What are the rest of you up to this winter  :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 340R is in bits after an oil leak from the oil filter housing at the Donington track day in Oct - pin sized hole/crack in the housing which is annoying. Also trying to sort the handing...I drove our duratec S1 at the end of the day at Donington and it made me realise how nervous the 340R is.

Hope you get yours all sorted ready for the sprints/trackdays next year - calendar is looking good.

I'm going to fit a new brake servo, design and build a new air box in stainless steel (to accept a viper induction kit), and maybe design and make some new quarter bumpers 'cos I think the car looks shit without anything fitted.

Oh wait, sorry, were you talking Lotus? This is all for my old kit car :)

Changed the handbrake cable today and its a vast improvement, no more rear brake binding. The cars done close to 80K now so cant complain really. A lot  of them not easy miles  ;) I might farm out the crank seal to Gav, im sure he will be chuffed.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you’ve been busy Martin! I’ve finally picked up a late S2 myself and am halfway through a rad replacement with twin fan upgrade (pull fans rather than blow). Turns out the condenser has started to rot out as well as the aircon pipe being a nightmare as well. So I’ve just bit the bullet and bought new rad, condenser, upgrade fan pack and a couple of other bits! Already living up to the motto and I’ve only had it a week!!

03212-C0-C-17-DB-46-C6-8-C6-E-72-BB9695-

I replaced the track rod end after it snapped midway through the Buxton run at LitP...which has quickly escalated into the well-known 'full suspension refresh' over Winter.  Sticking with standard bilsteins, uprated toe link kit and super pro bushes.  Everything has been either replaced or vapour blasted and given the por15 treatment (it was very very rusty).  starting to put the front back together now.  

My only question is about whether it is worthwhile taking the driveshafts out and re-greasing and re-booting them, before I start on the back.  Or is it a case of it it ain't broke... 

MrWill

20180924_183745.jpg

20181009_075511.jpg

20181024_105128.jpg

20181027_093543.jpg

20181125_181124.jpg

20180106_142255.jpg

Good stuff.

Russ I literally have that pump sat around doing nothing as I never fitted it nor will I if you are interested for beer tokens mate.

I'm going to pop out the lenses and have painted the black surrounds body colour. Repair the stone chips and Armourfend the front clam and sills. Have Gav repair the gearbox oil leak found on shakedown, it's very minor but I think that's it. Lol oh yea and sell it :lol: 

.... and drive it a little bit in the meantime :tup:

After last winter where i did the usual

- wishbone, blasting, zinc plating POR15, new ball joints, spherical bearings, track rod, rack out, rear subframe, blasting, reinforcing, zinc plating POR15, Engine mount refurbishing, engine re positioning,  uprated new outer CV and driveshaft rebuild, Gearbox rebuild and chassis clean

This year i am only just removing all body work including sills, replace or repair heater pipes, trim up new sills, prep replacement clam, boot lid and the other panels all ready for nice shiny coat of new paint :D Then put all back together and plenty of shiny polish. 

While all that is at the painters i may just pull the engine out, have a look at my gearbox whine, fit my other inlet manifold and TB. 

14 hours ago, jonnyfox said:

Good stuff.

Russ I literally have that pump sat around doing nothing as I never fitted it nor will I if you are interested for beer tokens mate.

Yes I'll have it please Jonny, I presume it is the 80ltr per min ?

I'll PM you so we can sort details.

:)

4 hours ago, AlanS1 said:

After last winter where i did the usual

- wishbone, blasting, zinc plating POR15, new ball joints, spherical bearings, track rod, rack out, rear subframe, blasting, reinforcing, zinc plating POR15, Engine mount refurbishing, engine re positioning,  uprated new outer CV and driveshaft rebuild, Gearbox rebuild and chassis clean

This year i am only just removing all body work including sills, replace or repair heater pipes, trim up new sills, prep replacement clam, boot lid and the other panels all ready for nice shiny coat of new paint :D Then put all back together and plenty of shiny polish. 

While all that is at the painters i may just pull the engine out, have a look at my gearbox whine, fit my other inlet manifold and TB. 

Holy Cow!!  Are you Ed China in disguise?  😁

Archived