litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

PPF film - midlands

Derbyjim

Hey guys

Hope everyone is well and enjoying your weekends.

So my S1 re-build is getting going again, carpets fitted today, headlight covers and one seat fitted (grr! wasn’t easy!) - next one is scheduled for tomorrow. Any decent tool recommendations for getting at the bolts into the floorpan?

Also, I’m looking at PPF film - probably just the front part of the clam and a little on the rear of the wheel arches. Are there any recommendations for supply and fit in the midlands area - car is located near Uttoxeter at the moment.

Cheers

Jim

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m interested in recommendations for PPF too, for the front clam of our new S1.

I’ve only ever seen the very front of the clam done on S1's, it seems there are too many curved surfaces for them to be able to do it up to the front ‘bonnet’?  

I’m not convinced it looks any good due to this, but happy to be proved wrong if there are places that will cover more area effectively.    Paint protection is the name of the game I suppose, but for me it’s important not to break up the lines and design of the car..

EDIT - after a quick search I’ve found this thread, seems there are a few recommendations (and perhaps one to avoid):

Thanks DaveB

I had some parts done on the S2 Exige a few years ago, seem to recall it was xpel and it held up very well.

The small line you get from the edge of the film is slightly noticeable if you’re looking for it* however these small plastic cars are so prone to stone chips that I can live with a small film line if it means far less chips in the paint.

* possibly less noticeable on an S2 than an S1 Elise? Be interested in thoughts on this but still think I’d go for it tbh - might just mean more film higher up the clam I guess.

Cheers Jim.  I have it on the Exige, it was done by the factory when new (or whoever their fitter is) as mine was a Lotus owned press car originally.

When I bought it from Silverstone, they had the front renewed with Hexis, it is self healing and looks fantastic.  The lines are only really visible up close or if you use the wrong wax, but I guess you know that bit.  The sills and rear arches have it on too (the original PPF).

So I’m used to how it looks - but very dubious about it on an S1, I really need to see one freshly done (at a decent price!).

My S190 is absolutely covered in it... Looking back through the cars history it was commissioned by the owner and Strattons to be fitted at the factory before delivering. 

It's not pretty stuff that's for sure as mines got the full kit (front end, complete sills, boot lock surround,  filler surround,  rear wheel / arch) 

It does imo detract a little from the paint finish but I know having been round the car there are no chips anywhere, which I'm allot happier about than the chips on my old exige

It's probably worse on a black car like mine as when you polish you get white edges on the film from the residue (well the previous owner has). 

Before I bought the s2 I looked at another sva scandal 160 as Dave knows and you can see from the photo how the film has done its job and now needs replacing 

received_10157572919127907.jpeg

received_10157572919202907.jpeg

I'd say this 160 Barry Ely had in looks pretty good with it on Dave. 

https://www.barryelysportscars.co.uk/lotus-elise-sport-160/

Cheers Kieran, like you say it has done its job...Lisa probably could have maintained it a bit better than that but I guess it’s well used at least.

On the Barry Ely one I can’t see any lines, suspect it’s because there aren’t any close up photos of the front end.  Certainly looks invisible though!

Yep I saw the film on your 190 at Gav's, with the white residue around it.   The trick is to stop your polish or wax about 1/2 inch short of the lines.   Fiddly but looks tonnes better...

Kieran

My Exige doesn’t look like those photos at all... I’ll try and get a close up photo later on.

To me those pics almost looks as if moisture (and mould) have got into the film and stayed there. Oddly I’m doing the S1 in Lizard Green so just shows I need to get the film right as I would be crying if it looked like that in a couple of years! 

Yeah that cars been well used and sat unloved on a driveway for quite a while... I looked at buying it as a project but got messed around so I walked away. 

From my experience it also depends on the manufacturers film thickness as they all differ so have a look at the gradings. Mine is quite thick and over the last 28k miles hasn't let one through but some I've seen have.

Cheers Dave. It's taking some hard work to remove it all.  Normally you can run upto the edge, as long as you buff off with a clean microfibre before it starts to powder

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had what I believed to be Xpel Ultimate applied to the whole front clam 2 1/2 years ago following a front end respray (dratted stonechips!). The film cost more than the respray, but I was reassured that the film was 'self healing' and one of the best. So 2 1/2 years later the front end is in good condition and I'm pleased with it. Then last weekend at Autosport International I got chatting to the Northern Regional Manager of Xpel and he told me that they do not supply their film to the people who applied it to my car. So the lesson is to get written assurances that the film is what the installer says it is. It's impossible to tell if you are not qualified - film looks like film when it is applied.

if anyone wants the contact details for the Xpel RM then PM me. He will gladly provide details of their accredited installers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived