Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

A favour...

Alex B

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alex

I have a full set of S2 Exige wheels (no tyres) you can borrow ( or buy if want a spare set for track days!).

Out of interest is it ‘steering wheel wobble’ you have? If so I had this on my Exige at exactly 70mph. I pulled my hair out over this problem for months, kept having wheels balanced and all sorts. I was then told to change the tyres from A048 to R888s. I didn’t think for second this would make a difference but....problem solved over night! If IRC Curvy (Simon?) had exactly the same problem and his was resolved by changing to R888s.

Mark

Hi Alex, if you fancy a run over the a50 you can borrow mine for a while. Might ask you to give me a hand putting the car on the axle stands . I am working every day now till next Friday so won't be using the car , but would mean an evening visit if that's any good to you. 

What tyres are you running btw ??

I believe this is a common problem with A048's. I had the same thing happening, which also went away when I swapped to 888's.

What was interesting when I looked at the removed A048's was the quantity of loose rubber inside the tyre, in balls of differing sizes...I suspect in my case at least, this was the cause the imbalance.

Should be able to feel movement in bearings, tre,  rack, bushes, hub etc by jacking the car and pulling on the wheel or using a crowbar on wishbones. 

If that's all solid then it's got to be wheel or tyre related I'd have thought.

9 hours ago, AlanS1 said:

Alex - If its a quick swap over just to check then i has some wheels here that can be tried. 

I'm i guessing that the steering rack wasn't the issue then?

Unfortunately it hasn’t cured it, made it better but not solved it.

Will take you up on the offer one evening next week if that’s good with you Al?

litterally just need to swap and go for a quick drive see if it still wobbles.

Unfortunately it hasn’t cured it, made it better but not solved it.
Will take you up on the offer one evening next week if that’s good with you Al?
litterally just need to swap and go for a quick drive see if it still wobbles.
No problem Alex. Tuesday is probably best for me next week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, C1RVY said:

Alex - I understand there is an issue with wobble on Exiges running A048s. Lotus deny all knowledge, but a quick change to 888s seems to sort it for most - certainly did for me 😎

Yeah I remember Murray had a lot of trouble with his. 

Took the car out Saturday n marked up the wheel n tyres with a yellow mark.

Checked them yesterday to find one of them appears to have slipped 3 to 4mm during a 15mile drive. 

6 hours ago, Steve J said:

Ooo that's not good.

Thought it was only on track under severe braking could the ao48s slip a little.

Yeah I’m assuming the beading has broken away. Will take them n get em refitted once I’ve double checked with Alan’s spare set on Tuesday.

Archived