litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Full member benefits?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Steve J said:

The reason I ask is, I was a full member, I paid my £12 and got none of the benefits your link points to Steve.

I don’t mind a hug from Dean and I guess Dean likes a hug now and then, but U don’t see why I should pay for that😊❤️.

The main thing you do is supporting MLOC to keep running, where possible we create the Mloc calendar, sent out in December and discount on mloc events/merchandise (like litp).  We stopped doing the physical membership card this year as nobody seemed bothered by it anymore.

On 9/17/2018 at 21:43, chris_h said:

The main thing you do is supporting MLOC to keep running, where possible we create the Mloc calendar, sent out in December and discount on mloc events/merchandise (like litp).  We stopped doing the physical membership card this year as nobody seemed bothered by it anymore.

I’ve never had got an MLOC calendar when I was a full member, this is one of the reasons why I stopped paying the £12

According to our records the last full membership you bought was July 2014 which ran out in July 2015.  You got a discount on the 2015 lotus in the peak tickets you bought in Jan 2015.  You should also have got a calendar December 2014.

Since then you have been just a forum member so no calendar will have been sent out.

18 minutes ago, chris_h said:

According to our records the last full membership you bought was July 2014 which ran out in July 2015.  You got a discount on the 2015 lotus in the peak tickets you bought in Jan 2015.  You should also have got a calendar December 2014.

Since then you have been just a forum member so no calendar will have been sent out.

That’s correct, except I didn’t get the calendar.

Couldn’t see the point in paying £12 to save £1

I just wanted to know what I get for £12 full membership because I’m considering joining again.

I already pay £29 to LDC

cheers Mike

The other main thing you get is the continuation of MLOC.  MLOC is run totally on a volunteer basis and every penny of the money raised through membership and advertising is spent on running the club (e.g. forum software, web hosting, MSA membership, equipment for events).  The only thing outside of that is a good percentage of the money raised from the raffle at LITP is given to charity.

If you had raised the missing calendar in 2014 we would have sorted it for you. Certainly they all went out as its a massive task getting them all ready for posting and I did it that year so I know just how long it took! It's actually an eye opener when you send so much large mail out how much of it actually goes missing en route!

For some history, when I started MLOC it was all run from my own pocket, which became unsustainable over time. We then switched to a donation model which worked well to start with but the donations went away after the initial flurry. We then moved to advertisers to keep the site running which went well but generally internet advertising for banners seems to be on the demise with less people wanting to do so year on year.

In the mean time to become part of the MSA and have their insurances for events we needed to have MLOC as a limited company, the MSA rules mean we need to have members or we are not able to join them, thus the paid member was started.

Personally I would prefer not to have paid members as I prefer to let everyone have full access to the site and only rely on advertisers to keep the site running. That's why there are limited member benefits as I set it up originally so that everyone could post as many photos as they wanted or send as many messages as they wanted for example, not just paid up members as other sites do. The price has been kept low at £1 a month for that reason.

In terms of money made on previous years from the members signing up its pretty minimal once we have paid out for the calendars and postage which keep increasing in price every year. The main reason for membership is to allow us to keep the MSA membership going and it does also help contribute to the sites finances, all time and effort is given for free by everyone so no one is taking any money personally from the site, no mileage expenses or anything like that. More recently now that we have equipment purchased the LITP events have been making money and thus enabled us to allow donations to charity after we have made a small profit towards running MLOC.

Archived