litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

HIDs

dandylion

Against all expectations, I'm finding the S3 Elise headlights to be even worse than the S1 I had some years ago. Back in the day, I fitted an HID kit from Eliseparts, but I am curious as to the current thinking; which kit have folks opted for, and are there (have there been) any issues with current legislation?

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I don't like them as so many cause problems for oncoming drivers as well as in the mirrors if they are fitted to a car behind.

Indeed, this is proving such a problem generally that the UN is currently running a global study on it due to increased accident causality due to dazzle.

A recent RAC survey showed 6 out of 10 drivers found dazzle a problem due to the excessive brightness and aftermarket HID kits are likely to be an MOT fail.

More here: 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/driving/2018-03/modern-headlight-brightness-causing-safety-dangers/

HIDs fitted to headlamps designed for halogen bulbs is now supposed to be an MOT fail, and High Intensity lights, including LEDs and Xenons, are required to have headlamp washers if they emit more than 2000 lumens.

Thank you both for your replies. The article on dazzling certainly rings true when your eyes are at the same level as other motorists bumper! One big advantage of the HIDs I fitted to my S1 was that a short flash did encourage others to dip. Where I live, in darkest Shropshire, many people drive with all their lamps on; why, I have no idea, but it can be really unpleasant.

The legal aspects of running HIDs do worry me; are people finding that upgraded bulbs make a real difference?

HID's are also required to be self-clear get, which may also preclude retro fitting.

Something I have to ask in view of your reply: Since you are aware of the unpleasant/dangerous effect of dazzle from others' headlights, why would you want to risk causing just that problem to someone else?

Happy to be corrected on this, but the self-levelling systems required for HID headlights are in place of manual levelling in that they react to static inclination? And they also react to dynamic changes, ie. when the car is moving.

Unless you can fit a self-levelling system to your S3 then you will risk dazzling other drivers as well as MOT fail.

Then there would be the issue of legality and, from that, invalidating insurance, etc.

Archived