litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Dreaded emissions (mot fail :( )

nordberg

Hi there, my Elise s1 failed an mot on emissions :( . The test centre couldn't do any work to rectify the few issues that needed resolving, so had to take elsewhere. However, the garage I chose did not want to say why the emissions could be failing. They did test it again just to confirm as a second opinion that it was to high to pass, but still leaves me with a real head ache as the re-test date is fast approaching and I'm no nearer to getting it resolved. Could be cat, but not sure. I did put a new one on a couple of years ago, but it was on the cheaper and of the scale at approx £65. Could this have become ineffective after such a short period of time? I'm not against buying a slightly more expensive one like the Elise Parts cat, but reluctant to start hemorrhaging money as it's £170. I'm in the Derby area, does anybody local have a spare, known good cat that I could borrow to rule out, or establish fault?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Andy

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a cheap CAT in my S1 (probably for the last 4yrs) and it has been steadily getting harder to get through the emissions each year - this year it only just scraped through and i had to get it seriously hot. A more lotus orientated MOT station/garage can probably help out with the few tricks to get it through. 

Hi Andy.

Was it high HC or CO? They should provide you with emission results.

Does it run smooth or is there a noticeable lumpiness? 

I'd check plugs, lambda and leaks in the manifold / exhaust first.

Could be cat but to be destroyed after a short time I'd think you would be running too rich due to something else.

As above, the key will be why it failed. There are a number of straightforward potential reasons and rectifications, eg. the standard exhaust is known to pull air in through the tailpipe arrangement, causing erroneous high test results. Remedy is to block up one pipe with a cloth to prevent the pressure pulses that cause the issue.

12 hours ago, timbo said:

As above, the key will be why it failed. There are a number of straightforward potential reasons and rectifications, eg. the standard exhaust is known to pull air in through the tailpipe arrangement, causing erroneous high test results. Remedy is to block up one pipe with a cloth to prevent the pressure pulses that cause the issue.

The mot test chap did do the rag up the tail pipe so I guess it was an attempt to get it through (although i wasn't sure exactly why he did it so thanks for the explanation :) )

On 11/09/2018 at 16:37, Steve J said:

Hi Andy.

Was it high HC or CO? They should provide you with emission results.

Does it run smooth or is there a noticeable lumpiness? 

I'd check plugs, lambda and leaks in the manifold / exhaust first.

Could be cat but to be destroyed after a short time I'd think you would be running too rich due to something else.

Cheers Steve. I'm going to miss my retest deadline, so I'll look at replacing the lambda and checking for leaks as you recommend. 

17 hours ago, Steve J said:

I was down there today getting mine MOT tested.

Maybe he has a magic Co machine as mine came back with a Co reading of 0.00% :)

I've seen genuine readings like that. I had one on a car once.

Gav doesn't do MOTs he sends them down the road.

Archived