litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

340r recommission

Elisesport190

Couple of thoughts:

A) Is the fuel in the injector rail fresh or could it be old?

B) When you've turned-over the engine for a while without it starting, is there any smell of fuel from the exhaust?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, timbo said:

Couple of thoughts:

A) Is the fuel in the injector rail fresh or could it be old?

B) When you've turned-over the engine for a while without it starting, is there any smell of fuel from the exhaust?

The fuel will have been old. I drained the rail then refitted it. Maybe I should check again to see if it’s refilled? Again this could be old residual fuel left in the hose supplying the rail. Maybe I should pump more fuel through the rail feed to ensure it’s fresh.

Ive used the old fuel in my lawnmower so it definitely goes bang. But does smell a bit funny.

I will have a go at starting it again and smell the exhaust as you suggested. 

I have been surprised that when I take the plugs out to inspect them that they are not wet with fuel...??

Hmmm...why did I get an emoticon rather than the B and a bracket that I typed..? Anyways...

Definitely make sure you have fresh fuel going into the rail (your lawnmower's probably not as fussy!), even if it's just to rule out that possibility. If the plugs are bone-dry and there's no smell of fuel either at the exhaust or on the plugs that seems to suggest it's not getting into the cylinders. In that case - as I think you mentioned having access to another set of injectors(?) - then a swap might locate the issue.

If it is, then I'd get the original injectors ultrasonically cleaned and refit them. After all the time they've spent idle and immersed in old fuel, they're not going to be functioning at their best!

Good call on Gav Leigh. Op he has just totally sorted my S1 Exige after a 4 year rebuild. A number of issues came to light which will likely be the same as yours. Time spent with him is a lot wiser than asking questions on this thread mate. 

It was the injectors!!! 😁

I swapped over the injectors from my sport 190 and it fired up on the second press of the starter button! To say I’m happy is an understatement.

Thanks for your help and suggestions chaps......now I can start putting it back together again 

Excellent stuff, I love it when I make a suggestion that actually helps - doesn't happen very often :blink: :lol:

Get the 340R ones off for cleaning, they will probably be just like new when they've been done.

I loved the sound of my grumpy, lumpy VHPD at idle......

Excellent news - glad you got it sorted! Old fuel can go really "off" over time - I've seen it completely block up bike carbs (another good reason to fire up regularly in storage as it keeps the fuel going through).

Thanks again everyone!.... think the forum helped just reason everything through and reach the final conclusion. 

Not sure if the injectors are blocked or seized. Also not sure if its best to have them cleaned or replace with new?

They would have to be pretty buggered to not come back from cleaning. But I guess they could have been fried (electrically) if there was a fault at some point but it all other electrics and fuses seem OK it would be unlikely.

I used this guy in the past, seemed honest and did a good job at a decent price. https://mrinjectoruk.co.uk/

Archived