litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

340r recommission

Elisesport190

I don't think that the fuel level sender output will link to running the engine tbh. I once ran out of fuel in the 340R and the fuel gauge wasn't even on 'refill' :rolleyes:

Holiday was good thanks, but no wi fi and no phone signal either! I felt cut-off........

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How easy is it to get at the fuel pump connections? If you can get at them disconnect it and make sure you have 12vdc for a couple of seconds at ignition on, this is when it pressurises the fuel rail. If you do then check the continuity at the pump. Should be about 3 or 4 Ohms i would guess?

• 3 weeks later...

So a quick update. 

I have removed the fuel tank and old fuel pump. The pump was seized solid, so I ordered a new one from spitfire engineering.

The inside of the original tank is in a bit of a state with loads of debris. I don’t think it can be sorted out. I just happened to have the aluminium tank that came with the 340r upgrade kit. This had never been fitted so I will put the new pump in the ally tank and see how that goes. The ally tank is lower capacity though so I reckon on getting 120 miles max range from the car rather than 180ish.

I have removed the deep aluminium ring with the bolts sticking out of it from the steel tank but noticed it was bonded in place with something. Does anyone know what it was bonded in with? Obviously there to create a seal.

thanks for your help.

9 hours ago, Elisesport190 said:

So a quick update. 

I have removed the fuel tank and old fuel pump. The pump was seized solid, so I ordered a new one from spitfire engineering.

The inside of the original tank is in a bit of a state with loads of debris. I don’t think it can be sorted out. I just happened to have the aluminium tank that came with the 340r upgrade kit. This had never been fitted so I will put the new pump in the ally tank and see how that goes. The ally tank is lower capacity though so I reckon on getting 120 miles max range from the car rather than 180ish.

I have removed the deep aluminium ring with the bolts sticking out of it from the steel tank but noticed it was bonded in place with something. Does anyone know what it was bonded in with? Obviously there to create a seal.

thanks for your help.

I wouldn’t worry about the range, roughly 1 tank every three years on current mileage! 😂

Sorry can’t help with the bonding material!

Pro-alloy do tanks to suit whatever version of the 340R/Elise/Exige that you have and it's set up for the correct style of pump fixing.

Nothing else shown on the diagrams as a spare part though, this is the diagram for the tank.

44_01medium.gif

• 2 weeks later...

An update.

spent the last two days trying to get the car started!

I replaced the fuel pump, new tank, put it all back together but still won’t start.

I have checked for spark at the plugs and they seem fine. There is fuel in the injector rail.

only thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the immobiliser or the injectors aren’t supplying fuel.

The immobiliser has a damaged wire on the meta microwave sensor, not sure if this would stop the car starting after the alarm/immobiliser has been disarmed.

I’m at the stage where I might push it onto the trailer and send it to midland lotus to see what their diagnostics say.

Happy to hear ideas in the meantime.

😐

Hmmm.....that's a bit of a pisser.

If you have fuel in the rail and a spark then it should start. I would have thought the immobiliser would stop either of those if it was still functional. Doubt the injectors would be dodgy but I guess it's possible. Can you get hold of a different set to try?

If I needed someone to pass an eye over it and sort it out I'd be dropping it down to Gav @ Unit 4 in Burton. Never known anything to beat him yet!

20 minutes ago, Dr H said:

Hmmm.....that's a bit of a pisser.

If you have fuel in the rail and a spark then it should start. I would have thought the immobiliser would stop either of those if it was still functional. Doubt the injectors would be dodgy but I guess it's possible. Can you get hold of a different set to try?

If I needed someone to pass an eye over it and sort it out I'd be dropping it down to Gav @ Unit 4 in Burton. Never known anything to beat him yet!

I might be able to use the injectors off my sport 190, good idea!

The old fuel tank was pretty sludgy so perhaps some of it got to the injectors, I would have thought that they all won't be blocked though. The car turns over fine but just won't even try to fire up. So frustrating.

Thanks for the info re unit 4....

7 hours ago, Martin R said:

Have you got the immobilizer by passed? If you have can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on for a few seconds? If yes to both check the compression.

I’ve bypassed the immobiliser with paper clips and I think I’m getting fuel pump priming noises. This wasn’t happening until I put the new fuel pump on. 

I haven’t checked compression with a tester but I hand cranked the engine and resistance was felt. Taking a spark plug out reduced the resistance. Could be worth checking properly though.

Archived