litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

340r recommission

Elisesport190

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I will try and put some progress pictures up as I go.

I won't split the bodywork as I prefer to keep originality as much as possible. My sport 190 has had various little improvements over the years but subtle, things like braided brake lines, uprated pads etc. Taken it to the nurburgring a couple of times in its 12,000 mile life.

I incorrectly said the mileage was 1163 miles in fact its 1163km so 722 miles! I'm still going to be driving it though!

1 hour ago, Elisesport190 said:

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I will try and put some progress pictures up as I go.

I won't split the bodywork as I prefer to keep originality as much as possible. My sport 190 has had various little improvements over the years but subtle, things like braided brake lines, uprated pads etc. Taken it to the nurburgring a couple of times in its 12,000 mile life.

I incorrectly said the mileage was 1163 miles in fact its 1163km so 722 miles! I'm still going to be driving it though!

722! Good God......

As soon as you drive it you'll devalue it enormously! :lol:

4 hours ago, IAN G said:

leigh , i really should have brought yours , stunning car ❤️

Stop rubbing it in! :lol:

Cheers for the text earlier, sorry I forgot to reply!

• 3 weeks later...

Made some progress. Took the advice above and fitted the aluminium rad.

Just replaced the cam belt and alternator belt. New tyres being fitted tomorrow. Then will change oil, oil filter, new air filter element, fuel filter, brake fluid, brake pads and wiper blade.

My biggest concern is the soft interior paintwork. It will look a dogs dinner when scuffed after a few uses. I might contact lotus to ask what the best remedy is to keep originality.

64F58959-DE4B-4A8B-929E-67AE74CF54AD.jpeg

Looking good! Lotus won’t be much help! Mine was completely re-done inside and out before I bought it. Sorry not much help but whatever paint they used it is still perfect. I’d go and see a decent body shop for some advice. It can be done 😊

They painted it with sensoft or senotex or something similar. It's a soft touch paint. They also put a soft touch lacquer on the sliver paint on the centre tunnel, dash bar etc. That just attracts dirt! It's also pretty much impossible to patch up if it's damaged.

Another thing to mention is the roll bar. Many of them had to be repainted under warranty as the paint just fell off. Might be worth getting it done before you put it all back together and then the paint falls off! Carefully remove the safety cage stickers and then re apply them with adhesive after the new paint. AFAIK you can;t get them anymore.

Thanks for the info DrH. I think ideally the interior panels need to be resprayed but that will add more time to the project and I just want to get it back on the road while the weather is good.

could always do a full resto down the line.

Finished changing belts, service items and fluids yesterday. Just got new brake pads and fluid to change, then can start putting it back together after testing the engine, bleeding the cooling system and checking everything is ok.

43B2429A-8889-407F-B336-E22E17A32F9F.jpeg

2 hours ago, The Cakes said:

Didn’t realise it was LHD, that could be worth some serious £££. 

Not sure what exhaust that is? 

This car has the lightweight pack, so it’s got the lighter weight exhaust and various other parts. I have the single seat roll bar and aluminium fuel tank, but these aren’t fitted. So it’s part lightweight version and part standard.

1 hour ago, Elisesport190 said:

This car has the lightweight pack, so it’s got the lighter weight exhaust and various other parts. I have the single seat roll bar and aluminium fuel tank, but these aren’t fitted. So it’s part lightweight version and part standard.

Didn’t know there was such a thing from the factory. A lot of spare parts for 722 miles 😂

13 minutes ago, The Cakes said:

Didn’t know there was such a thing from the factory. A lot of spare parts for 722 miles 😂

It was to give the car somewhere near a real 340bhp/tonne which the car doesn’t get to as standard 😏

Looking good.

One other thing our car needed was a replacement fuel filler hose as the original had started to perish. Annoyingly they seem to be bespoke 340R so quite hard to find something that works - Steve Guglielmi sourced something for ours.

Rich

Hmm, hit a problem. The car turns over but won't fire.......not 100% sure fuel is getting to the cylinders (I changed fuel filter and drained the tank), spark plugs possibly not firing as I took one out to see if there is a spark while turning over and there wasn't. Not sure I can hear the fuel pump priming either....not sure whats best to tackle first!

I put 19 litres of fuel in and the gauge says 'refill' and only one bar shows. I would have thought 19 litres would show nearly half full? 

Archived