litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Rear shocks - please help!

Domdeath

Hi everyone,

So one of my rear shocks on my S2 Toyota engine 2007 Elise has started leaking (typically one of the fronts went about 2 months ago) but lotus is on backorder and apparently the new CEO is in China so it doesn't sound like the order is going to be signed off anytime soon (and even then there's a 6 to 8 week lead time on them). What makes me so desperate is that I booked my first track for mid July day a few weeks ago! :( 

2 options:

1. Does anyone know of anywhere which might have a couple of Bilstein shocks sitting on the shelf?

2. Fit some aftermarket shocks. I'd rather not go down this route as although they can be cheaper, since I'd have to declare them to my insurance this will negate any savings and I'd have to pay for it year on year. I'm not pushing the car to its limits either so I doubt I'd notice any performance improvement. IF I did go via this route, what shocks are best value for money? Gaz? Spax? Avo? Ar these a simple straight swap to replace the shocks? New coils needed? 

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Often when lotus quote they are on back order they are not always. We had the head of parts visit last wednesday. Your dealer needs to contact him direct and he can look on the lotus system and tell you who has been sold some recently.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try and contact the lotus dealer near me tomorrow. Hadn't thought of trying something like that, I have been trying to order them myself from various suppliers and they all have been saying Lotus are out of stock. I had an email from DeRoure today saying:

Aftersales are ready to place the order but its waiting on sign off, under the  previous CEO of Lotus it had to be authorised by him. As you may be aware, Jean-Marc left the company last week. The person who has replaced him still has to sign this off and they are currently in China.

Aftersales are estimating six to eight weeks subject to getting authorisation to place the order.

2 hours ago, Domdeath said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try and contact the lotus dealer near me tomorrow. Hadn't thought of trying something like that, I have been trying to order them myself from various suppliers and they all have been saying Lotus are out of stock. I had an email from DeRoure today saying:

Aftersales are ready to place the order but its waiting on sign off, under the  previous CEO of Lotus it had to be authorised by him. As you may be aware, Jean-Marc left the company last week. The person who has replaced him still has to sign this off and they are currently in China.

Aftersales are estimating six to eight weeks subject to getting authorisation to place the order.

Hi and welcome to MLOC, what I know about mechanics can be written on the back of a match box :)

you could try ringing Gav at Unit 4 Burton for advice, he knows his onions :)

you need to get it sorted so you can book on for 'Lotus in the Peak' on July 15th

tickets on sale in the store :)

Welcome

Ray

Have you tried Eliseparts?

Be wary of alternative set ups - they can be better on track but in my opinion most are worse on the road, as even the better quality units (eg Nitron NTR or Ohlins) are usually supplied with much stiffer springs.

Good luck!

Dean

There may be some kind soul on here who's upgraded their suspension and has the originals, so could loan you a rear pair until you can get new ones if there's going to be a delay?

As I recall (and I'm happy to be corrected...) the S2 has harder springs than the S1 but the dampers themselves are the same for extended & compressed lengths; springs can be swapped over however :) 

Dean, I have tried my local dealer, Elise parts, sj sports cars and deroure all with no luck :(. Will have a browse of seloc see if I can find a second hand set there though! Will check out unit 4 Burton too, thanks Ray.

Give junks on SELOC a shout, he might have some. Also, you can get billies reconditioned, cost is about £100 each but I can't remember the turn around time, might be a couple of weeks? I have a pair of Exige spec units (one is leaking!) that you could borrow for the car to sit on whilst they are away if that helps?

I had a similar problem a while ago and was advised to get mine refurbished at Bilstein, they replaced seals and rods and calibrated them to original spec. I can't remember how much it cost but a lot less than new price and turnaround in about 10 days by courier.  Give them a call I don't know the number but google it. Hope this may help.

Reconditioning is a good shout. The bilstein place is in leics somewhere. I think it will set you back about 600 quid iirc, more if you have new springs (only a cosmetic choice)

Archived