litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exige V6 - Engine oil choice..

Daveb99

My 2013 Exige V6 S Roadster will be due a service soon. I currently don't have any oil for top ups, so thought I'd buy in bulk and supply the oil to the dealer for the next few services, leaving me with plenty for topping up as needed, and saving a fair bit of dosh in the process.

ECP on eBay are currently doing Castrol Edge 32L (8x 4 Litres) SAE 5W40 Fully Synthetic Titanium FST for £228.46 with the current 20% off promo.

That's just £7.14 per litre!

Is there any reason why I shouldn't jump on this deal? I presume it would be fine in the engine as it meets the ACEA A3/B3 spec?

Fast road use only for the foreseeable future...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

We're cheaper than ECP, £216 for 8x4L of the Edge 5w-40, just use the code SELOC to get 10% off the website price (the 20% discount is only on the Edge 5w-30).

If you want a proper performance oil, the Fuchs Pro S and Millers CFS are £46.99 per 5L, but if you were going for 6 cans, using the code MSPORT15, that will come to £239.65.

Cheers

Tim

I'd speak with your dealer before making a purchase as our dealer insurance is quite stringent about using parts that we have not supplied.

Our price for oil during an oil service also includes the cost to dispose of your old oil, you may have to factor this into your calculations as well.

Finally, the recommendation from Lotus Cars was 5W40 for normal applications and 10W60 for track use up to the point where they started to use Petronas oils then they changed the recommended oil to 0W40 for track use. 

If you feed the lotus fuchs or millers as per opie oils advice  your car will be very happy. 

Manual should have viscosity range?  The rover for example says anything in the range of 10 and 60.

10-40  normal motoring. Brisk weekend blat. All perfectly fine

10-50 spirited driving and perfectly fine for normal track days.

10-60 hardcore trackdays races sprints etc

The higher Oil pressure modern engines run makes a zero or 5 rating less of an imperative IMO.

Archived