litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Respray?

Musicman7

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my clam repaired and repainted a couple of years ago. The repair was a stitch repair to a crack on the underneath side which required a lot of Labour. The cost of the repair and repaint came to £1000. Seemed a lot at the time but it has held with no subsequent cracking. I guess for a straight repaint without repair the price would be around the £800 mark.  My car is flat red but a 2 stage metallic might be slightly more. Hope this helps?

1 hour ago, Elisemadray said:

was that removing the clam?

It will be Ray, yes. They quoted me 900+vat+ armourfend. That was drive in/drive out price. Sadly beyond my budget. 

I had mine done (except the bootlid) by Edmonds Auto Refinishing in Burton. It was an insurance job so don't know the cost but the quality was good.

Be aware that paint takes a couple of months to harden off fully (so I'm told) especially in winter so during that period they are even more vulnerable to stone chips

Dropped my Azure Blue S1 111s at a rather reputable Lotus (many say the best!) paint finisher on Saturday for a complete respray - I don't expect to see much change from £4k but it's the preparation that takes the time - both clams will be removed and I expect it to be away for 6 weeks :) 

^ thats pretty realistic for a decent full repaint and what I would budget, hard to geralise though as so much depends on the amount of prep required and how good you want the finish, I.e, basic prep and minimal strip down, basic post paint finish.

or full strip of all body and trim, flattern between coats, colour sand after and buff to mirror finish.. 

Absolutely - It could well go North of £4k - depends on what they find - it is generally in good shape but suffering from the Lotus curse of microblistering in a few areas!!

I had my S2 Exige resprayed at Edmonds Auto Refinishing in Burton. No real bodywork damage apart from lots of stone chips from track work (some heavy chips though). They removed the clams, 3 stage paint (Orange, can't remember the name). realigned the clams for me (they wasn't fitted great prior to respray) and even buffed up the head lights. I just drove in and out. 

They did a great job and was a pleasure to deal with throughout, all for less than £2k :D (was a couple of years ago no so prices may have increased a little)

Archived