Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

gear box oil

IAN G

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just doing this myself.  I went down the oem route. I also bought a magnetic drain plug.   I'd at least choose a GL rating  appropriate to your application most modern cars use Gl4 because the additives and viscosity are purpose built for synchro-mesh  gears.  I read a lot of posts where people had good results using other ratings (gl5 rated fuchs syn5 for example) or even 50-50 mixes of 4 and 5 :o but after a lot of reading i went with oem. Using oem and doing 'regular' (3yr) changes is the way to go IMO.

5 hours ago, MrWill said:

Just doing this myself.  I went down the oem route. I also bought a magnetic drain plug.   I'd at least choose a GL rating  appropriate to your application most modern cars use Gl4 because the additives and viscosity are purpose built for synchro-mesh  gears.  I read a lot of posts where people had good results using other ratings (gl5 rated fuchs syn5 for example) or even 50-50 mixes of 4 and 5 :o but after a lot of reading i went with oem. Using oem and doing 'regular' (3yr) changes is the way to go IMO.

A word of caution with the magnetic drain plugs, be careful you don't overtighten it. The second time I used one I felt it starting to yield as I attempted to tighten it so went back to the standard plug. Personally, I feel that the installation of the magnet leaves insufficient material within the plug itself to be properly torque tightened a number of times. Maybe they should be treated as a single use item. This is just my opinion, don't know what others have experienced?

Thanks for the advice PhilS1 I'll make sure I'm careful when tightening. Gone for a Gold Plug so should be okay on the quality side. And don't mind renewing every 3 years for the gearbox.  Got an elise parts One on the sump and that's been fine for two oil changes so far but I'm always gentle when re-fitting.

2 hours ago, MrWill said:

Thanks for the advice PhilS1 I'll make sure I'm careful when tightening. Gone for a Gold Plug so should be okay on the quality side. And don't mind renewing every 3 years for the gearbox.  Got an elise parts One on the sump and that's been fine for two oil changes so far but I'm always gentle when re-fitting.

Yeah sorry MrWill, my previous experience was with a magnetic oil sump plug rather than the gearbox one, maybe they're a bit more substantial. :)

On 17/05/2018 at 16:47, Phil S1 said:

Yeah sorry MrWill, my previous experience was with a magnetic oil sump plug rather than the gearbox one, maybe they're a bit more substantial. :)

Quite the contrary PhilS1: the plugs are identical so the I expect your advice to be just as sage! Many thanks! :)

Drained the gearbox last night Ian and it came out as thick dirty sludge with what looked like a few slightly congealed lumps :o 

more than justifies the oil change

10 hours ago, MrWill said:

Drained the gearbox last night Ian and it came out as thick dirty sludge with what looked like a few slightly congealed lumps :o 

more than justifies the oil change

not good ! might be worth filling with a cheap gear oil running it for a few hundred miles then changing to some good stuff

mines only done 3 k miles so dont expect it should be too bad 

2 hours ago, IAN G said:

not good ! might be worth filling with a cheap gear oil running it for a few hundred miles then changing to some good stuff

mines only done 3 k miles so dont expect it should be too bad 

I think you're right and now you've said it i can feel the OCD setting in so I'm going to do exactly that. 

I'm on 27k and 17 years old so wasn't expecting holy water but i didn't think it would be slurry. 

The OEM mg rover stuff is the cheapest so it'll be some good stuff followed by some more good stuff :ike:

Not sure about your yota but for the rover s2 There 's no special requirements in the workshop manual. You need a funnel, some flexible tubing and a plentiful supply of gravity. 

Archived