litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Starter motor “click”

Jonathan E

My Elise has refused to start on a couple of occasions recently. Turn key and “click”, turn off leave a few moments then it starts as it should. I suspect the starter motor is on its way out?, but will also check the battery. I’ve already checked all connections and they are fine. I presume the starter in an S2 111s is a standard Rover part so where is best to buy from

Tia

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before you do anything else, check the battery.

If you have another car connect it up and try to jump start it. If it's still the same 'click' then could well be the starter.

When you say 'on a couple of occasions' - has it started OK in between these occasions? Has it sat for a period between the two?

I agree sounds like you need a new battery, mine still does this if it’s been left for a couple of weeks , buy a trickle charger too, this helps your battery to have a boost, they’re Brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It did it a couple of times last year, and hs dine it twice this year so far including this morning, gave it a good run out on Saturday. It starts fine most of the time and is always on a battery conditioner when not being used

3 hours ago, Jonathan E said:

It did it a couple of times last year, and hs dine it twice this year so far including this morning, gave it a good run out on Saturday. It starts fine most of the time and is always on a battery conditioner when not being used

could still be the battery beginning to fail similar thing happened to mine, I tried 6 inch nail technology n hit with a hammer :) not really, I changed the battery all was good, but you could still be right about the starter motor 

Not much help am I :)

If you want to use a standard size one I'd go for a good quality 063 size.

I bought a Bosch Silver form Halfords, but they don't seem to sell them anymore. Maybe this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-5-year-guarantee-hsb063-silver-12v-car-battery Good thing about Halfords is the 5 year warranty (just keep the receipt).

Or Carparts4less (Eurocarparts) https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Lotus_Elise_1.8_2004/p/car-parts/electrical/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/car-battery/?444770638&1&04de2175c630000bd261be3279491f6f98192397&000020 £81 with current 12% discount code (April12) and free delivery.

Thanks Leigh, its a Bosch thats on there now.

Had a quick voltage check just now, Battery cold is reading 12.6v, drops to 10.61v on start up then settles at 14.3v when the engine is running. I left the conditioner off last night and on first turn I got the "click". turned off the ignition and tried again and the car started :rolleyes: Does this point towards the battery being knackered?

Jon, i may well have my old one in the loft. I changed it as a preventative measure when i had the engine rebuilt. Nothing wrong with it as such. You are welcome to try it to diagnose yours? The other thing is try the same test at the starter motor terminals? Should be about the same reading give or take a small amount for volt drop. If its significantly different it would suggest a bad connection on live or also dont forget the ground to the engine block?

Archived